Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Windows programs work on Kubuntu or any other linux source?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Windows programs work on Kubuntu or any other linux source?

Hi everyone. Just had the oportunity to see what the kubuntu is. It looks good. My question is do windows programs work fully on kubuntu?

Thanks,

Joao

Re: Do Windows programs work on Kubuntu or any other linux source?

> Running Windows Programs from Linux:
    Today you can run many Windows software from Linux native using Wine or one of the many virtualization tools such as VMWare...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by jjoaopaulo

My question is do windows programs work fully on kubuntu?
      To amplify on what Rog said:

Some work great on Wine, others require a VM and then there are some limits.

Examples: (1) Graphics-intensive gaming needs direct access to the GPU, and runs best with a native Windows driver. May work on Wine, but not as good as native Windows.

(2) Hardcore proprietary Windows database, such as MS Visual FoxPro apps. No go on Wine, works great on VM.

(3) Label printing utilities, Internet Explorer stuff, office apps all should work fine in Wine.

(4) Windows hardware utilities -- disk defrag, CPU and memory testing -- don't try it from Linux.

Comment

http://appdb.winehq.org/ should also give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Comment

I use CodeWeaver's CrossOver Office product (a highly polished commercial version of WINE) to run the Windows programs I need to run, which amounts to only one, right now.

CodeWeaver announced the release of ver 8.0 a few days ago, and gave everyone who downloaded version 7.0 last year, during a 5 hour window of opportunity, another opportunity to upgrade to 8.0 pro at half price. I took them up on it.

You would need to check with their app database to see if the windows app you want to run will indeed run under CrossOver.

Also, IF you install the Windows media options in one of your WINE bottles (you can have a different WINE bottle for each app you install, which avoids the WINE problem of one app trashing another during install) don't be surprised if your Linux mimes stop playing your Linux audio visual applications and begin using MediaPlayer.... and attempt to do so even after you remove WINE/CrossOver. Moral: don't activate MediaPlayer in WINE/CrossOver unless you don't mind MediaPlayer hogging the mimes.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There may be no factual basis to it, but experience suggest to me that there is a kink of hierarchy form Wine, through Wine-Doors, PlayOnLinux to the commercial versions including Cedega(above), Crossover and Win4lin.

PlayOnLinux is to be included in Repository for Karmic.

I like "Frank's Corner" at http://frankscorner.org/ "All information on this site is related to Wine and not to WineX/Cedega or CrossOver Office."
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
            X