This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still-Dual Heads

I am installing Kubuntu on a laptop I have run Windows on for the last 3 years. I have been trying to install a Linux desktop for the last 3 years... I am using the Kubuntu 9.04 64bit with dual heads. The install goes great. But dual heads... They (Ubuntu) still have not figured this out... This is still why Windows wins the desktop war <PERIOD>. I have never wanted something to work so bad for so long and it is still only setup by the Uhlo tribe during the third tri-union of the 16th dynasty, on Tuesday.... Just seems crazy to me.

Windows Right click on desktop->Settings->Extend Desktop... Now that is hard.

Re: Still-Dual Heads

Excuse me, but I am not quite sure what you mean by "dual heads".
    Windows Right click on desktop->Settings->Extend Desktop
    If you mean using multiple monitors, see SystemSettings > Display > Multiple Monitors
    I don't have multiple monitors, so I probably can't help much further than that.

Edit: I should qualify this by saying that I am using karmic-9.10 with the latest kde-4.3.1
    I don't know if this feature is available in earlier versions.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

My point stands... Because of this simple issue the Linux desktop (Including Ubuntu and Kubuntu) is a hobby at best... Real work has yet to be done on this system <See my previous note> Maybe in another 3 years this issue will be put to bed. Doctordruidphd your question about version, kernel versions, is moot. I am not asking for help... I am stating a fact. This is where the Linux community misses it. Thanks for the attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by notYet
        I am not asking for help... I am stating a fact. This is where the Linux community misses it.
        Well, we, the members of KFN, are part of the "Linux community" and as such, are willing to provide what assistance and help we can. But that assumes that help is asked for - you say you are not - and that understandable information is provided. doctordruidphd stated that he was not sure what you meant by "dual heads" and you did not clarify in your reply.

If we don't understand the question - or in your case, the 'statement' - we have no other option than to try and educe from you what it is you mean, in terms we understand.

So, would you please provide a clear explanation of what you mean by "dual heads?"
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by notYet
          My point stands... Because of this simple issue the Linux desktop (Including Ubuntu and Kubuntu) is a hobby at best... Real work has yet to be done on this system <See my previous note> Maybe in another 3 years this issue will be put to bed. Doctordruidphd your question about version, kernel versions, is moot. I am not asking for help... I am stating a fact. This is where the Linux community misses it. Thanks for the attempt.
          This sounds like you're here for a troll. I've used Windows quite a lot, but I would never have guessed that the way to set up a dual-head system is to right-click the desktop (surely it should be under the Control Panel > Display?). As such, does that mean Windows isn't ready for the big time? I can think of any number of other places where Windows doesn't do things the way I would expect.

Just because Linux does something differently to Windows, that doesn't mean Linux is wrong. And don't confuse what YOU find easy with what is easy in general.

Comment

I am not asking for help... I am stating a fact.
            Facts are elusive animals. what is a "fact" for you is fiction for others (like myself)

I remember well the "fact" that there where chemical and biological weapons in Irak.
            Look at what "fact" gave us.

If you are stating a "fact" on your machine, be so kind as to give us some details on that machine and what it is exactly you want to achieve.

At least others can either profit from that "fact" or offer solutions, if not to you, who are seeking a solution because you are not asking for help, then at least for others.

Laptop alone does not cut it.

Stating your "facts" in the manner you do it is not very productive in the context of this forum.

At this point I will state a fact.
            You do not have to use kubuntu or any other distro.
            No one is forcing to use linux.

At this point I have to agree with olembe this sounds like trolling.
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have used two monitors several times with several distros during the last thres / four years or more, I had a little trouble with three but that was down to me not the software.
              How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

Working...
              X