Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] how to boot into a linux rootfs image file on an XP ntfs partition?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] how to boot into a linux rootfs image file on an XP ntfs partition?

Hi there,

I am since long running kubuntu on a XP-only company laptop from a usb HD (I cannot mess with the contents of the internal HD, like repartition etc.)

However, I find it inconvenient to have to plug in my external HD for every private (linux) use.

Some time ago I have tried to put a linux filesystem image on C:\ (ntfs) and boot into this one (with Grub installed on a USB-stick as the boot loader), but gave up because I kept getting errors like "kernel panic, no root fs found" and the like.

Main question: Is it at all possible to achieve this (linux root fs on ntfs partition)?

TIA

Re: how to boot into a linux rootfs image file on an XP ntfs partition? (possible?)

I'm no kernel developer, but I believe part of the booting process is a filesystem verification check by the kernel. Since NTFS is not a supported Linux filesystem type, it's gonna fail.

Comment

Re: how to boot into a linux rootfs image file on an XP ntfs partition? (possible?)

What you want is similar to wubi installtion but the problem is it will modify the vista bootloader.
      Wubi install creates a image of a virtual disk

Or you could install linux totally on you USB HDD but you will have to repartition it to make a new partition for linux.
      Or I suggest you install GRUB on USB and then perform ubuntu wubi install creating a virtual disk

Find me online on #kubuntu or #ubuntu
      maybe we will discuss this, I would like to do similar.

Comment

Don't know if this is any use?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Comment

Ya check that site. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
          It will be able to solve the problem
          I just forgot to mention it earlier

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I'll check into wubi (no idea what it is) when I have time.
            EDIT:
            search no more, I just read about wubi, it in fact exactly seems to be the implementation of the concept I was looking for, and a user-friendly implemantation at that!
            I'll try it when I have time.
            Link: http://wubi-installer.org/

AFAIK the pendrivelinux scenario is exactly what I am using now (running kubuntu from external USB harddisk or USB key); this is not my issue. I would like to run linux from my internal HD without repartitioning, i.e. my only chance is a rootfs image file on the existing ntfs partition.

I suspect the only way this could work is either:
            1) both GRUB and the basic system on an initrd should be intelligent enough to read from ntfs
            2) or: I use a USB key to boot (initrd), but in the 2nd stage a system on initrd should then be able to mount the rootfs from an image-file on an ntfs partition, do a chroot and release my USB key.

Cheers,

pp

Comment

I don't think WUBI repartitions or re-formats your hard drive -- I think it lives on the Windows system as an "application". Kind of like a VM, I guess. I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for -- it definitely is a way to "run" Kubuntu.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] how to boot into a linux rootfs image file on an XP ntfs partition?

Not like a VM, it will run kubuntu natively (i.e. you choose linux/windows at boot time), but the linux filesystem will reside as a normal file on your windows partition (and as such have no impact on your windows installation other than eating several GB of disk space)

Comment

Working...
                X