This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partioning Wins w/ Kubuntu

I lost Wins XP Pro, it crashed. Installed Kubuntu 6.10 in its place. Now I want to Partion Them to tocccccccc drive. Win Recovery cd says that wins cant see that the HD is installed. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?? I have pation kubuntu to 20gb and want 60 to wins.

Re: Partioning Wins w/ Kubuntu

First of all, M$ (not TM) operating system installers do not recognize the existence of Linux, so they will overwrite any Linux partition that you might have on your hard drive unless you are really careful and know what you're doing. As a result, the usual way to go is to install Windoze(not TM) and then install Linux, which does know about Windoze, and will leave your Windoze installation unharmed. So what you should do, (if you insist on running Windoze) is to save all your personal "stuff", (everything in your /home/[username] directory tree) to an outside media e.g. an external drive or email everything to yourself at gmail. Then, install Windoze, and finally reinstall Linux.

Second, Kubuntu 6-10 is relatively obsolete. The current version is 9-04. Most of us like it. Moreover, you can't beat the price, since you can download it for free at kubuntu.org. Alternatively, you can buy a CD for only a few bucks from any of a number of vendors. They advertise on distrowatch.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was told to install Kubuntu 1st the wins. I have ordered the 9.04. should I try and wait til then to make the transition?? I perfer Kubuntu vs. wins it is just I have to learn Linux system of operation. I was tring to recover wins and it kept telling me it could not see my HD. So I had this Kubuntu cd and I installed it to see if it could see my HD. It worked. Please advice me as what I should do from here.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
        First of all, M$ (not TM) operating system installers do not recognize the existence of Linux, so they will overwrite any Linux partition that you might have on your hard drive unless you are really careful and know what you're doing. As a result, the usual way to go is to install Windoze(not TM) and then install Linux, which does know about Windoze, and will leave your Windoze installation unharmed. So what you should do, (if you insist on running Windoze) is to save all your personal "stuff", (everything in your /home/[username] directory tree) to an outside media e.g. an external drive or email everything to yourself at gmail. Then, install Windoze, and finally reinstall Linux.

Second, Kubuntu 6-10 is relatively obsolete. The current version is 9-04. Most of us like it. Moreover, you can't beat the price, since you can download it for free at kubuntu.org. Alternatively, you can buy a CD for only a few bucks from any of a number of vendors. They advertise on distrowatch.com

I tried to use the recovery cd now and it does not reconize it at all now. I can't boot to the cd! I am having a problem w/ my PSU. Fan is making a noise at start up and I have one order. Be here tommrow. Could a failing PSU cause Wins xp to crash?? I have a sick puppy on my hands. Someone said my HD has died. I am using it w/ Kubuntu. Any advice??

Comment

Originally posted by odiear3rd

Could a failing PSU cause Wins xp to crash??
          A failing PSU can (and will) cause any OS to crash:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104914.0

Someone said my HD has died. I am using it w/ Kubuntu. Any advice??
          Yes.

1. You need better evidence than "someone said". Use one of the many free hard drive diagnostic tools and find out for sure.

2. If the hdd was dead, you would not be using it with Kubuntu or anything else.

3. Upon first suspicion that there is a hardware problem with a hard drive, if you care about any of the data that are on it, you need to shut down your computer and start making plans and arrangements to copy off your data onto some media that you have confidence in. There are many bootable CD products, including your Kubuntu Live CD, that can be used as the OS to run your computer if the installed OS on the hdd is failing due to the hdd failing. Then you need a large capacity USB memory stick, or find a friend with a USB external hdd that you can borrow, or else you can use the CD/DVD drive if you have one and burn your data to CDs or DVDs, or upload your data to a network if you have one, or otherwise figure out how to copy off your data before the drive truly dies.

Comment

Embarq's Rescueit tech told me that a failing PSU might be my problem. I have a micro cace from IN Win w/ a 240w psu. Because of the limited space I have to replace it (on order) w/ there 300w psu. I found one on newegg. To be here today or tommorow. I pray that is going to be enough wats (300) to do the job. I know I need more but the larger PSU won't fit.

Comment

Working...
            X