This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uninstalling Kbuntu

Well, I tried several times to get a start with Kbunutu.

But due to my soundcard being an Xfi gamer, and the only drivers for it are in need of compiling and I have found no help in that regard it's time to get rid of this dual boot.
    For a year now I've had to scroll down to Vista everytime I boot which is my main OS so I don't boot up in Kbunutu instead which is a pain frankly. I don't undertsand why my main OS isn't first to boot anyway, or why I don't have a choice to arrange the boot order.

So now my spare HD has Kbuntu on it and Vista doesn't recognize it's existance, so I can't format it. Is there an easy way to clear Kbunutu and use it for windows?

Re: uninstalling Kbuntu

u wont get an answer on how to uninstall linux so u can use vista but u could still get ur sound card to work

try here
    http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

wiki always helps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_B...#Linux_support

ul have to search a bit but its there

and yes u could get ur vista on top at the list just search the forum for grub

i had a similar issue whit my nvidia 8800gts (this was the same time automatix was popular ) and i did give it a try and after some searching and trial and error i got it to work i was about to get rid of kubu 7.10 at the time but i dint haven't been happier since i got it to work and that feeling of success was great

u mainly use ur win to game right?
    i will give u the answer on how to get rid of kubu but i strongly encourage u to try again post ur results and ill help u

Comment

I honestly appreciate your help, but I don't think people refusing to help me uninstal is a great way to promote linux. Sure, it would be better to have someone get on board rather than steer them away, but it's just been frustrating for me, now I can't even uninstal it easily and recover needed space on my HD.

That makes me want to tell people to avoid it all all costs unless they can afford to buy new Hard drives.

I do game alot, one reason I wont run it without sound, but I also mod alot to. I'm not even going to get into trying to get other programs to work if I can't even have sound. But I know the games I use are linux compatible.

The link to the driver there is one I have. One that I tried before and the person who got me to try Linux said he would help me with. That didn't happen, now I have a 80g hd I can't use. I tried again but same thing. I even tried another driver linked to in another post. Same thing, needs compiled before I can use it and I don't know how.

My intention with Linux was never learn how to program or learn how to do command lines for everything, I found it frustrating and time consuming. I don't want to have to post questions everytime I want to instal something.

This is the readme:

I honestly don't know if I have #1. I have Kbuntu 8.04.1 I think. I've tried running #2 ./intsaler and I get command not found,

either way I really don't want to hassle with this stuff everytime I need to do something.

I would appreciate if someone would just tell me how to uninstal. You could even send a PM if you don't want to spread the word
      ===============

1) You must have the fully configured source for the Linux kernel and
      ALSA which you
      want to use for this device driver. Partial installed
      kernels (e.g. From distribution makers) may be unusable for this
      action.

2) Run one of the following commands as root in the terminal:

./installer

OR

./installer --with-alsainc=<ALSA_include_directory>

* ALSA Source Tree

On 2.6 kernels, the location of the ALSA source include directory

is parsed automatically from the running kernel.

If it is not in the standard place, specify the path via

--with-alsainc=<ALSA_include_directory>.

On 2.4 kernels, the location of the ALSA source include directory

must be specified via --with-alsainc=<ALSA_include_directory>.

* Note
      If integrated ALSA is to be used to build, --with-alsainc option

must not be specified.

Comment

OK, I don't know how or why but if I go in and out of the folder with these files (desktop) I get different options like open as root or open terminal here. I think it was open terminal but I'm just clicking buttons in frustration right now.

Anyway, I did the ./installer command and went through licsense agreeement/read me and got to this.

Installation is in progress. Please wait...
        tar: /home/j/Desktop/XFI: Cannot open: No such file or directory
        tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
        tar: Child returned status 2
        tar: instal: Not found in archive
        tar: 2ndtry/XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18/XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18.tar.bz2: Not found in archive
        tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
        cd: 498: can't cd to /opt/Creative/XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18/drivers
        ./installer: 498: ./configure: not found
        make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
        make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
        cd: 505: can't cd to /home/j/Desktop/XFI
        Installation Unsuccessful
        root@Badd-Tower:/home/j/Desktop/XFI instal 2ndtry/XFiDrv_Linux_US-1.18#

Comment

i could ask some hardcore linuxer here to take it personal on helping u but since u gave me a valid response and the errors there are a pain in the ass

do u still have ur live cd
          if so the boot it from the live cd
          use apt get and install gparted
          mount the 80gb hdd and
          save all ur files to an usb stick or burn something
          and use gparted to format the hdd
          leave the hdd blank and use win to format

win sees the hdd but under the administrative tools and not my pc
          u can also format it from there but wont get ur files if any

Comment

WAIT DONT DO ANYTHING!!! WHERE IS UR MBR
            u installed win and then linux right?
            so probably the grub replaced ur win boot loader
            and if u format u will lose all boot options or will still be stuck whit the grub loader and a broken linux boot and still have to chose!!!
            crap now i remember

well there is no other way around so bare hit me some time
            u will have to reinstall win after the format
            the install cd lets u format the hdd before install so u can do it from there

Comment

ok ok
              save u files from linux
              use win install to format the drive and the reinstall ur win

i know its a mess but i don't know any easier way to do this

if u have installed in another way post it and lets see it there is an easier way to do this

Comment

Originally posted by Original
                Well, I tried several times to get a start with Kbunutu.

But due to my soundcard being an Xfi gamer, and the only drivers for it are in need of compiling and I have found no help in that regard it's time to get rid of this dual boot.
                For a year now I've had to scroll down to Vista everytime I boot which is my main OS so I don't boot up in Kbunutu instead which is a pain frankly. I don't undertsand why my main OS isn't first to boot anyway, or why I don't have a choice to arrange the boot order.

So now my spare HD has Kbuntu on it and Vista doesn't recognize it's existance, so I can't format it. Is there an easy way to clear Kbunutu and use it for windows?
                Sorry you had bad luck with Kubuntu, "Orginal". The VISTA device manager will allow you to reformat the SPARE HD that has Kubuntu on it.

To remove Kubuntu you will have to restore your MBR (Master Boot Record) with one that points to the VISTA partition. If you merely remove Kubuntu it will leave your primary HD MBR set to boot into Kubuntu, which will hang your system at boot.

In the 'boot' folder on the Vista DVD (or the VISTA recovery partition) you'll find a program called
                'bootsect.exe'.
                With 'bootsect /nt60 c:' you can write a Vista compatible bootsector

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thaks graygeek i have never used vista so i dint know that

Comment

Originally posted by Original
                    Changing the boot menu order or the boot default OS isn't very hard (you can do it graphically with kgrubeditor, or edit your menu.lst manually). I can give you more detailed instructions if you still want them (that is if you haven't already removed kubuntu), or you can search the forum for intructions.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

I actually googled last night and found some command lines to run. Actually scared my self because it wiped the grub then my Vista wouldn't boot. Had to put the Vista disc in and recover some files.

Then I unplugged that HD, stuck in the w7rc disc and crossed my fingers. It let me reformat that disc to instal 7, when Vista HD was plugged in I couldn't even find that HD.

I think Linux is a great idea and I'm sure I could probably get used to it, but it's the learning curve that I don't want to go through right now to do so. Hopefully in the future it'll become just a little more user friendly though. I know that's alot to ask as it's all user developed and nobody gets paid for it.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, Orginal, what is the brand and model number of the PC you tried to install it on in dual boot with VISTA?
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I was uninstalling kubuntu and I selected yes to closing kd and it shut the computer.my system had both Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed.

crédit d impot - Piscine zodiac

Comment

Working...
                          X