This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to partition

Iḿ Dual-Booting XP SP3 and Kubuntu. I think I partitioned wrong or something...XP still has like 230GB free while kubuntus partition has like, 43MB..is there a way I can give some of xps GB space to Kubuntuś ? I´m new to kubuntu so I don´t really know...I want to move on from windows completly but im still working on that.

Re: Need to partition

Welcome home, you've a great nick so I am obliged

* BACK UP windows
    * Boot off the kubuntu live CD
    * With the software installer, add gparted
    * Run gparted (partition editor)
    * Resize Window's partition
    * Add an ext3 partition for linux at the end.

After that, you may just choose "install kubuntu" and choose the ext3 partition to put your new shinny linux

Comment

Easier, just download and burn the Gparted disk from it's iso. Boot it up and resize your windows partition, then you can use the created free space ot either create a new partition or expand your existing ext3 partition. It will prevent problems if you first run chkdsk /f /r from windows, (requires reboot) and then a defrag on your windows partition. Sometimes gparted fails if the windows partition has errors or is fragmented.

Comment

partition manager will do the work correct?

Comment

In my experience, one would be better creating the GParted CD as suggested, and using it. This ensures that such partition tweaking is done on unmounted systems. GParted has excellent documentation on doing exactly what you are wanting to do.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just to say I agree with Snowhog.

In the past I have personally experienced a Partition Magic crash, resulting in a total loss of data from the drive being partitioned.

It's far safer in my opinion to do the job from a live CD but whatever method you chose the golden rule must be to backup first.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator

In the past I have personally experienced a Partition Magic crash, resulting in a total loss of data from the drive being partitioned.
              I have used the new Parted Magic 4.4 several times now, and it is a marvelous tool, IMHO -- it even has a GUI implementation of SMART tools to do a short or long test on your hard drive(s). And the whole thing loads and runs in memory -- you could easily use it to back up stuff on your optical drive if you wanted to.

However, a crash of any partitioner (and any partitioner can crash) is a very bad thing to experience -- so bad that I absolutely will not subject my live data or OS to re-partitioning. I only do partitioning on a bare hard drive, prior to using/re-using it.

Comment

+1 for Parted Magic here: http://partedmagic.com/. From bitter experience I have also learned how important it is to defrag your hard drive before resizing a partition. And backup, of course.
                Registered Linux user #436067<br />=======<br />Ubuntu 8.04 &amp; 9.04

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  Easier, just download and burn the Gparted disk from it's iso. Boot it up and resize your windows partition, then you can use the created free space ot either create a new partition or expand your existing ext3 partition. It will prevent problems if you first run chkdsk /f /r from windows, (requires reboot) and then a defrag on your windows partition. Sometimes gparted fails if the windows partition has errors or is fragmented.
                  I agree. Gparted is an excellent option and do not forget to backup your data. If you are not prepared to lose data, I would recommend leaving things the way they are. If you are willing to experiment, you can try to reinstall Kubuntu, choosing to resize your windows partition during installation. I like to use a custom partition setup. After downsizing the windows partition, I create a 10GB partition for the / (root) directory, a swap directory equal to 1 1/2 times the RAM installed in the system, and the rest for my /home directory. This way you can always upgrade or reinstall your Kubuntu to the formatted / (root) partition and leave the home directory intact (unformatted). When you log into the clean Kubuntu, your home directory is exactly as you left it as are your desktop settings.
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X