This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want Kubuntu on my laptop, problems with removing Vista

Ok. First off I hope I didn't post this in the wrong area, and I have spent some time searching and couldn't yet find an answer to my questions. If I posted this in the wrong area or there is an answer already to my post please direct me to it.
    \
    Ok. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and want to run Kubuntu on it. A friend from work gave me a boot disc of Kubuntu 10.8 KDE4 (Live). I have tried running the disc but when my comp reboots it won't boot from CD. I have tried going into f2, f8 and f10 and can't seem to find my way. I am a bit green on a lot of the inner working of a computer so please be patient with me lol. Anyhow, can anyone help me get my comp to reboot from the cd so I may give this kubuntu experience a try.

Also, if I transfer my comp to kubuntu is there any risk of losing any of my hardware (webcam, dvd burner, etc) and is there any chance I won't be able to retrieve my backed up files from my Hammer Morespace once I make the switch.

Well, I certainly hope someone can help me with this. You can always email me at sep.h13@gmail.com as well if you would like.

Thanks for your time
    Pat

Re: I want Kubuntu on my laptop, problems with removing Vista

what kind of laptop is it (model #)? If I don't know the command to get into the bios, I will just start hitting random keys during boot.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Hi Pat,

Does the computer's screen say anything at all as it first starts to boot up? Most computers flash up a very brief message saying something like 'Press ESC to enter setup'.

Comment

various answers here.

mmo
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
        X