This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Linux Questions

Hello, I'm new to Linux. I have been a computer nerd for a while now and have a high end home built windows desktop at home for gaming. However I have been intrigued by Linux for ages and I'm interested in trying it out.

The other day I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1545 for college in the fall and I'm looking into maybe dual-booting Linux and Windows on it. I do have a few questions though.

About partitioning some people I have spoken too said to place windows in say a 20 GB partition and use the rest for Linux. Others say use Linux in a small 20 GB partition and put Windows in the larger one. Which is the better option? Will I be able to acess my data (eg. music or movies) in both of my operating systems? Do I need a "data" partition to allow both OS to acess that?

I'm doing a dual boot because I do want to play some light games on the laptop when I'm out around campus (CS:S TF2 etc) these are steam games and take up a lot of space will my partitions need to reflect this?

What do I really need to know about Linux to get started? Is there a steep learning curve? I've been attracted to Kubuntu but I dont know these difference between GNOME and KDE. What Is the difference? Should I look into using Ubuntu instead? Maybe another Distro? I'm a bit overwhealmed at the choices.

Thanks for your time if I think of any other questions I'll post them here. (My laptop has not arrived yet which is why I'm asking these questions I cannot actually try anythign yet)

Re: Some Linux Questions

On the "which is better" question, the best answer is "try them both" -- make a Ubuntu Live CD and a Kubuntu Live CD, and exercise them on your laptop. The "best" one is the one you like the best.

There are an almost infinite number of ways to partition your hard drive -- probably it depends on how comfortable you get with Linux, and today's answer may be the wrong one a year from now, so I'd say start with a 20G Linux partition, install your system, get comfortable with it, and then you can easily adjust things later.

Learning curve -- it can be as steep and as long as you wish.

More FAQs are linked in my signature.

Comment

You can't learn to swim unless you get in the water. Set your computer up however you like, nothing is carved in stone, you can change it later if you want. The easiest way to have your files shared is to set up a separate partition using FAT32. Both Linux and windows can read an write to that. When in Linux you can mount your Windows partition and have access to it also, but mounting your Linux partition in Windows is not so easy.

You may also wish to consider installing your Linux OS in a virtual machine in Windows, or vice-versa instead of dual booting.

Comment

So repartitioning is not a difficult task? So if i do want to use Linux as my major desktop I will be able to increase its size? Thats good then. I think I may use the Live CD idea suggested until I decide on a distro.

And doesnt Windows automatically use FAT32? or is that something I have to do myself to get a "data partition"?

Comment

Windows can use FAT32, but most windows installs these days are NTFS. But Windows can easily read an write from a FAT32 partition. No setup needed. For example, most flash drives are formatted to Fat32. And can be read by both windows and Linux.

Comment

Ok this may seem like a dumb question but how do I format a data partition to a FAT32 partition? and will using it slow down my system at all? Isnt ext4 much faster?

Comment

Zokudo, before you install Linux in its own partition BE SURE YOU BACK UP THE MASTER BOOT RECORD on your boot drive.

Here is a recent tutorial on the topic: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's easy, if you are installing a Linux distro you will be presented with a step that will allow you to set up your partitions. Or you can download a program called Gparted and burn it to a CD and run it from the CD at boot, and setup your partitions. The program will allow you to select the format to use. Also we have not mentioned the need for a "swap" partition. It is a small partion that does what the pagefile does in Windows. You will need to create that too.

Comment

EDIT:
                  Ok I took a breath and read through everything and if I understand correctly Kubuntu or Ubuntu or whichever distro I want should be able to setup the partitions for me correct?

I just have to shrink my Vista partition right? I am a bit confused when I shrink my partition is it decreasing the size to just what the OS needs to run and my games etc can be put into my data partition? or am I just creating room for my Linux and only need to free up say 20 GB? Do i need to manually create a data partition for like games and music etc? or do I just leave it inside my Vista section?

Also my Linux install will make the swap partition right?

Comment

Don't be discouraged, it's really not that hard.

My suggestion, to save you the hassle of dual-booting, would be to first install Linux, then a virtualization software called VirtualBox, and then install Windows in a virtual machine. That would allow you to run them both at the same time. It also removes all the possible pitfalls when installing a dual boot setup.

Comment

As suggested by Detonate:

GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
                      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
                      New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
                      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

Get the GParted Live CD -- a very handy tool to have around.
                      I like doing any partitioning as a step separate from installing Linux OSs --
                      GParted is extremely safe and reliable;
                      also, you have more control over things, doing it outside (before) any installation, and where you can experiment, make corrections, adjustments, etc., until you get it just right for you.

Partitioning is simple. Just use the right partitioning editor (e.g., GParted).
                      Examples @ the gparted site.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok so I want about 20 GB for Linux 4 GB for swap for Vista and the rest as data?

How big should my Vista partition be and my swap should be the size of my ram correct?

Comment

In Vista, check the properties of your current partition and see how much space is being used. You'll need at least that much and some more for expansion. While you are there, run a disk check and defrag, as this may prevent some problems when you start the resize. For example, if you are currently using about 20GB for Vista, you will probably want to keep that partition at least 30or 40GB.

Comment

Ok this has all been a huge help.

Though one question can I load my games and applications into my data partition? Like CS:S and TF2 will windows boot them if they are not in the OS partition itself?

Comment

I would think that would depend on the game. For example (not game, but same priciple)...I have a virtual instrument that I use in my windows recording studio...the program itself is installed in the 'Programs' folder of Vista/XP...but it gives me the option during install to install the 'data' wherever I want, and since it is over 1 Gig worth of sound files, this is a great option to have!

Some windows programs will allow you to install wherever you want. I suggest during install to be sure to read every screen, and don't go on auto pilot!

mm0
                              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
                              X