This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] The Removal of Windows

I prefer to just stay with Linux. However, I understand that a vast amount of software is Windows oriented. Am I correct in that there's a chance I'm gonna need Windows? Soon I'll be studying in college, and there will be classes dealing on computing (meaning that I might be given special software to use later on).

I'm aware that people just do a dual-boot, but in my personal opinion, I feel that I'm not being loyal to Linux if I also keep Windows (Vista). So before I make any decision, I wish for the community's opinion: Is it better to keep Windows just in case, or do I stay 100% on Linux?

Thanks in advance
    The cyber-world is a whole different world indeed.

Re: The Removal of Windows

The vast majority of new computers come with Windows pre-installed. There is no need to remove Windows before installing Linux. The dual boot solution gives you both. IMHO, dual boot is the way to go. Loyalty has nothing to do with such a choice, IMHO.

You could just go out and buy a new, larger hard disk. Install the new hard disk in your computer and install Kubuntu on it. Remove the original hard disk with Windows intact, and put it away for safe keeping. That will give you a 100% Kubuntu machine, and you still have the original hard disk just in case you ever need Windows for some reason.

After all, when you buy a new computer you pay for a Windows license. You are entitled to use Windows on that computer for as long as you wish. Why throw it away?
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

My personal feeling about the topic are different if you are just a user or a mechanic.

A user will most likely drive a Ford or a Chevy.

A mechanic needs to know how to work on both, plus the BMW, and Mercedes.

Are you a user or a mechanic?

Brand loyalty is a manufacturers wet dream. You will continue to buy it no matter how bad it sucks.

Comment

Thank you for your opinions. It was helpful. Dual-boot is a good idea for many reasons, and that doesn't mean I'm not going to use Linux (in fact, it's the complete opposite).
        The cyber-world is a whole different world indeed.

Comment

Re: [Solved] The Removal of Windows

If you really need Windows for anything other than video games, then here's the way to run it:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=249

Comment

I concur with dible (as usual )

I us adobe stuff regularly and don't want to dual boot.

So I have a win xp (and 7RC) as a vmware guest running in the background with vmware player.

You should have a minimum of 1gig ram though.

The rest is pretty simple.
            You can convert your existing win to a vmware simply with this:
            http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

and install vmware player:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097965.0
            This works with JJ as well and you set up a unified desktop (enough ram provided)

EDIT: Using this method has tha added (big) benifit that your windows connects to the internet through linux. sooo. you won't be needing those pesky anti everyting applications anymore

Just beware what files you load on to your windows guest. I always use a copy of the original vmware file (from the conversion) and leave the original alone as a backup.

If you need help ask and we will answer
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I confirm I followed Fintan's advice on this a few months ago and haven't looked back, although the only reason I would now boot into windows is if I need to visit a website that is Windows only

One of the other reasons I had (Dragon Naturally Speaking 9) is no longer an issue as I can make it work under Wine.

If you are a gamer, then dual-boot will definitely be the way you will want to go as the graphics won't be up to speed in a Virtual Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                If you really need Windows for anything other than video games, then here's the way to run it:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=249

Is that a VM or something?
                My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Is that a VM or something?
                  Yes, that is actually two VMs, one is Win XP and one is Win 7 Beta. The how-to is here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

Comment

I have VMs in VMWare server, but since I upgraded to 9.04 bridged networking.
                    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Does your bridged network work automatically, or do you have to restart vmware to make it work? For some reason, even though vmware starts automatically at bootup and vmnet8 is shown running, when I start VMWare Player it will not connect, and throws a "bridged network is down" error. But, if I issue
                      Code:
                      sudo /etc/init.d/vmware restart
                      first, and then start VMWare Player, the network bridge works flawlessly. Just curious -- it worked automatically in all previous Kubuntu versions, but has never worked automatically in 9.04, including both kernels so far.

Comment

I never works, not even for a second.

I tried "stop" and "start", would that have the same effect as "restart?"

I am actually Using Ubuntu. I am not ready to use Kubuntu again, I'll post more on that later...

Comment

Maybe I just have terrible luck, but I've never had any luck getting VMWare to run properly on my computers. The official "free as in beer, but not as in speech" VirtualBox non-OSE repository for Ubuntu has worked excellently for me, however, and awesomely they provide for Hardy all the way to Jaunty. I have Windows 7 installed and, although the seamless mode screws up with my Nvidia Twinview setup, otherwise it's quite perfect (and hilarious to boot into briefly just to go "haha, is Microsoft deliberately mimicking KDE, or is KDE just doing the obvious future stuff?", plus I play Master of Orion II in a Win98 VM).

Besides that, I've noticed recently that often Wine does a better job of being Windows than newer version of Windows do; one of my roommates runs Vista, and trying to play Deus Ex multiplayer it fails (apparently Vista breaks some sort of Winsock functionality that many games from the 98-era relied on for TCP/IP connectivity). Meanwhile Wine has zero problems running Deus Ex multiplayer; a free re-implementation of the Windows API works better than the newest actual for-pay version of Windows!

Personally I haven't rebooted my main PC into it's Windows XP install in about a year.

Comment

"free as in beer, but not as in speech"
                            wtf does free as in beer mean? Beer isn't free. And I don't drink anymore, and when I did it was Hennessey!

But Wine doens't run every Windows Program. VMs so except for games.

Regarding the original topic, VMs are a good way to remove Windows while still having it.

I have a dual boot Vista on this laptop but never use it since I have Ubuntu. When I do I get lots of annoying stuff at start up like "Rockstar Social Club", I installed GTA IV and ran it once and this shows up even when I don't play the game. The other one is a message about Nero saying my serial number supports features not installed. I don't care, I just wanna use the one's installed, and you don't have to nag me every time I turn on my computer, even if I don't run Nero, and even if I do, you can have a thing in the side not show me a message all the time telling me something I already know. And when I "update" it, it doesn't work anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                              "free as in beer, but not as in speech"
                              wtf does free as in beer mean? Beer isn't free. And I don't drink anymore, and when I did it was Hennessey!
                              IMHO he is making the distinction between price and licensing terms. IOW, he is saying the license of the software he is referring to does not conform to The free Software Definition, even though the software itself cost him no money. Isn't that so?

Originally posted by http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/selling.html
                              The word “free” has two legitimate general meanings; it can refer either to freedom or to price. When we speak of “free software”, we're talking about freedom, not price. (Think of “free speech”, not “free beer”.) Specifically, it means that a user is free to run the program, change the program, and redistribute the program with or without changes.
                              Welcome newbies!
                              Verify the ISO
                              Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                              X