Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geeze! I just want to send files from XP to my linux on same network!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geeze! I just want to send files from XP to my linux on same network!

It should be easy. I would like to back up files from the main winXP box to my KUBUNTU 7.10 older box. I've tried to setup samba; can't get past the password prompt. VSFTPD worked for a while, but now always says the connection was reset by the server. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Stan

Re: Geeze! I just want to send files from XP to my linux on same network!

i use both XP and kubuntu on my network both at home and work,

the best way is to share the folder(s) in XP .
    and use type in for your path in dolphin or konqurer
    smb:/<computername>/<sharename> (for me @ home its smb:/alfred/inbox) network:/ and remote:/ rarely work for me. they just don't see my shares correctly.
    ,i have noticed sometimes you get a log in prompt in kubuntu accessing a windows share put in ur usr/pass of the windows machine ,
    if that don't work you can always use an ftp server or a usb hd or burn disks. or even take ur XP HD out and put it in the kubuntu machine be sure to get ntfs configuration from adept for ez mounting.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks. The ultimate goal here is to backup files from Win XP to a drive on the Linux box. I suppose that client could be running on the linux box. Anyone know of a tool that already does this?

Comment

Samba seems to work for me, even over a wireless network. My samba conf...

[global]
        netbios name = SAMBA
        server string = Linux %v
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192SO_RCVBUF=8192
        ; watch for any wordwrap on the line above!!
        null passwords = true
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
        security = share
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        map to guest = Bad User

# Share
        [Name-seen-on-network]
        path = /path/to/home/dir/writable/dump
        comment = Home
        create mask = 0644
        guest ok = yes

Remember the "Name-seen-on-network" shouldn't have any spaces in it. The "path =" path shouldn't be longer than 30 characters, and doesn't seem to like symlinks.

The "Netbios" setting can be anything, it's what your main share name will be seen as. The only important thing in there is the "Workgroup" setting, setting this to the same workgroup setting as your Windows PCs will make things easier.

Comment

I've never had issues transferring files from Windows machines to Linux ones on the same network; here are the exact steps I take every time.

(1) Install openssh-server on the Linux computer.
          (2) Install WinSCP on the Windows machine (or alternatively pop in a USB drive with http://winscp.net/download/winscp422.exe"]the portable standalone .exe version[/url]).
          (3)
          (4) Profit!

To clarify the "" step a bit (after all, this isn't /.), the majority of Windows machines seem to be incapable of understanding host names, so when using WinSCP to log into a Linux box from a Windows client you'll probably have to specify the IP address that the Linux machine has on your network. Other than that (and arguably including that) everything should be very obvious and straightforward.

The other good thing about this method is that it happens to work out so that Windows is dealing with all the Windows-side permissions and file-copy operations, and Kubuntu (in the form of its SSH server) is dealing with all the Linux ones. Both of them are in their element, so unless there's an actual problem with one of them it should work absolutely fine.

Edit: How silly is it that the Kubuntu forums refuse to let me post a URL link that uses "apt:"? No matter how I set it up the BBS insists on adding an "http://" on front of my "aptpenssh-server". Admittedly in KDE4's Konqueror that seems to be broken still anyways, but still, the principle remains.

Comment

Surely the easiest way to transfer files on a LAN is to use FTP. I run DOS a lot and it is definitely the quickest and easiest way from there to Linux. I am not so familiar with MS-Windows, but there have been a couple of times recently when there has been someone around with an XP machine and I've just set up an account for them on my Linux box and they have been able to back up their files using software which they already had on their machine. XP seems to have a GUI based FTP client readily available but I've noticed that from a DOS "box" in all MS-Windows versions that it works just like Linux and transferring files couldn't be easier. I don't know about these other fancy protocols discussed here, but FTP is essentially like mounting a part of your server file system on your client machine. The only software to set up is the server and that is as easy as typing "apt-get install proftpd" and you're good to go. I'm no expert so I tend to take the easy way out. /2cents

Comment

Working...
            X