This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, from a happy new user

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place as I'm not really asking anything but...

I've been a Windows use for as long as I've been using computers, (since win95 came out) but with the upcoming Vista with it's resource hogging and privacy invading features I decided to switch to Linux, a friend recommended Kubuntu, so I ordered some CDs from ShipIt, (which is perfect for people who don't want to spend ages downloading and burning things.)

Yesterday I got my CDs in the post and spent the afternoon backing things up ready for the switch. Once that was out of the way I put the CD in and told it to install, (I didn't bother with dual boot or anything) the first thing that surprised me was that it picked up my Internet connection before I had even started to install, something which always took hours in windows, the install was also much easier. Once it was installed I spent a while looking around then found my way to Adept Manager and installed FireFox.

I have to say Adept (and I'm sure others like it exist) is one of the most useful things ever, it's so much better than searching the net foe something them farting around trying to get it to work.

It took a bit more work to get my MP3s to work than I would have liked but then XP never recognised my sound card anyway, I always had to manually install it.

I don't really use my PC for much more that the Internet, music and films, maybe the odd game but I can live without them until I get more acquainted with it, and hopefully I can slowly become a member of the community as I learn.

So thanks for making this available to people like me who aren't tech experts.

Re: Thanks, from a happy new user

G'day, Stealth Prawn. Welcome to Kubuntu. Great to hear another success story.

I had a similar story to yours, threw out MS and now use Kubuntu exclusively. Very steep learning curve for me, but it has been well worth it.

Here is a site you may get some useful information from. It is written by Aysiu, one of the excellent contributers to these forums.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

If you have problems, there a lots of very knowledgeable people on these forums who will get you out of trouble. And always remember, Google is your friend.

Cheers

Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Thanks, from a happy new user

Thanks for the link, the pars about Wine and SwiftFox, were helpful.

And Google has been one of my home tabs from the first time I used it.

Comment

Working...
      X