This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows to kubuntu

I just migrated from windows to kubuntu. I dun understand a single thing about what's going on. and there's a lot of problems with running with linux.

1) my sound system is not working well. I can only hear the normal system wav files. I can't play mp3. My cd plays, but no sound comes out.

2) I found out i need to d/l some gstreamer plugins to play mp3. But I dunno a thing about adept and how I can use it to find new programs or to install them.

Do I really have to go back to windows again after reading so much about how linux is. HELP!!

Re: Windows to kubuntu

Originally posted by oshkoshzzz
    Do I really have to go back to windows again after reading so much about how Linux is? HELP!!
    First post and disappointed? I'm sorry Linux is not for you if that patience.
    Do one thing search this forum for your problem. I can bet you will find everything.
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

I would also suggest you to read this http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html as well

Check this site for other kubuntu related problem http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kf1.html
      cheers!
      -=|From the desk of|=-
      «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
      «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
      «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
      Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

I just migrated from windows to kubuntu. I dun understand a single thing about what's going on. and there's a lot of problems with running with linux.
        Don't worry about not understanding what's going on. That's beause you aren't used to the Kubuntu distribution or linux in general. When someone spends his entire life working with windows, that person will create an expectation of what an OS and what a desktop environment should be. With time you will start to get a grip of what's going wrong and after that, you will want nothing else

1) my sound system is not working well. I can only hear the normal system wav files. I can't play mp3. My cd plays, but no sound comes out.
        That's because Kubuntu isn't shipped with MP3 codecs. The thing is, MP3 codecs are patented (by Thomson and the Fraunhofer institute, if you must know) and they want people who wish use MP3 codecs to pay for their use. So, if someone wants to ship software which handles MP3, that person must pay royalties to avoid prossecution.

Well, the kubuntu team doesn't carge money for your use of kubuntu. That means that if they bundled MP3 codecs with kubuntu, they would have to pay for MP3 support from their own pocket. That doesn't sound like an option.

2) I found out i need to d/l some gstreamer plugins to play mp3. But I dunno a thing about adept and how I can use it to find new programs or to install them.
        Adept is great and extremely easy to use. Just search for the package you want and install it. It isn't rocket surgery

Do I really have to go back to windows again after reading so much about how linux is. HELP!!
        Well, I don't know much about what is happening with your CD-ROM drive but what I can tell you about the MP3 issue is that isn't a problem at all. There are a couple of ways for you to solve your situation

1) install the MP3 codecs: (seek and you shall find)
        2) convert all your MP3 to OGG (OGG is trully free and is everything MP3 is and even more)

If you opt for 2) you just need to go to adept, install the mp32ogg package and convert your mp3 library to OGG. Easy, isn't it?

Hope this helps

Comment

Or if you don't wanna convert and you want your gstreamer so badly, type gstreamer in the quick fliter box, and click on: gstreamer0.8-plugins

That should install all gstreamer plugins and you don't have to do any more work.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
          X