This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 5.04 to 5.10 worth the effort?

Presently I am running Kubuntu 5.04, with Firefox and Thunderbird for the internet. Is there enough change to make it worthwhile to upgrade to 5.10.

This may seem a strange question to ask, but on this particular list the users have already done it and I wondering what they think about the upgrade. Personally I like to upgrade as they become available but I am getting tired of losing everything from the previous version. Bookmarks, email list and everything else I have on my home directory. If there is a way of avoiding such loss I would really like to hear about it.

As you may have gathered, I am a bit of newbie.

Your thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Re: Is 5.04 to 5.10 worth the effort?

If your 5.04 is working fine, there's nothing special about 5.10 that's worth the trouble. You may, however, want to upgrade for 6.04, though, in six months.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
      If your 5.04 is working fine, there's nothing special about 5.10 that's worth the trouble. You may, however, want to upgrade for 6.04, though, in six months.
      Thank you, I guess I will wait. 5.04 is working fine for me.

Comment

I don't think you'ld loose all your bookmarks and home folders by just upgrading. I'm not sure though since I always do a clean install, but if you change in: /etc/apt/sources.list (edit as root ) the name hoary to breezy (all of theme), and save it, and after that in a console you type: sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, I think you might not loose everything. But as said before I'm not 100% sure, so don't shoot me, oh well, and there's this one thing: upgrades and (k)ubuntu are always a pain in the .... for some reason (lots of things crashed in hoary when I just did an upgrade (not a dist-upgrade) I hope these things won't happen in Breezy.

Comment

You won't lose your data, but it is possible that the upgrade could screw up your x-server. Having done a number of dist-upgrades, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who:

1. Doesn't know what she's doing
          2. Has a perfectly working system already
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

You can easily save your bookmarks. Just export them and burn them to disc or put on a floppy.
            5.10 is great. Its up to you if you should upgrade. But if you can upgrade KDE then I prob wouldnt upgrade. I would however go ahead and download it just incase your installation gets hosed beyond repair, so you will have 5.10 on hand and must less time will be spent upgradeing.
            I would upgrade to 6.04. Its supposed to be awesome..
            Cheers,
            Joey

Comment

Originally posted by bandit
              I would upgrade to 6.04. Its supposed to be awesome..
              I have just upgraded to 6.04 (small upgrade), only problem I have is the kubuntu-desktop package, it's missing some dependices.

Don't do it unless you like pain...

It will be awesome!

Comment

LOL,, Think I will wait. I am fragile Dont like to much pain...

Comment

Another problem - kdewallet isn't working here!! d'oh!

Comment

Fixed the above, just had to poke kdewallet until it woke up.

I think it would be good to upgrade to 6.04 cos the pressure is on!

For those of you that don't know Sabdfl == Mark Shuttleworth.

So get helping: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingKubuntu

~ Patrick

Comment

Working...
                    X