This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu and laptops

I am currently running slackware on my laptop, but I can't get most of the power management to work with it. I have heard that Breezy has good support for laptops "out of the box". Can others please share their experiences with me regarding kubuntu Breezy and laptops.

I installed Ubuntu Warty, and upgraded to Hoary when it came out but neither one provided me with any better power management support. I much prefer kde to gnome so I'd like to try kubuntu. I'll have to wait until I replace the cdrom on my laptop, unfortunately it's stopped reading anything. But when I do, I might try it.

Ed LaBonte
    http://ed.labonte.com

Re: kubuntu and laptops

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. Breezy comes with linux kernel 2.6.12, which improved the ACPI support quite a bit. Still, it isn't perfect. For example, in my experience, the NVidia driver craps up the suspend reanimation, which didn't happened with the native xorg driver. Still, although it isn't quite perfect yet, breezy is a huge leap compared with hoary.

Comment

the 2.6.12 is great. On Hoary I had to connect manually, (iwconfig eht1 blah blah...)

Now when the desktop open, i'm connected!

I have a dell, i did not have to tweek the power management either.
      I'm French, I like to be kissed on the mouth!

Comment

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100. Kind of an older machine. Old enough for the cdrom to go south. FedEx is supposed to deliver my new cdrom in 3 days. I'll be installing Kubuntu when I get it. I can't wait.

Comment

Can't speak for Dell, but Breezy runs great on my Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1553. It's the only distro of Linux I've tried that properly handles the power settings. It also correctly controls the cooling fan.

Comment

i've used the live DVD on my laptop, and everything worked. laptop is a Gateway 7210GX, Mobile AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 512MB RAM, Onboard ATI Radeon Graphics. well, everything but the accelerated graphics of course. they are always a pain in the arse.

Comment

I've finally installed kubuntu breezy and all the power management tools: standby, suspend to ram, suspend to disk, etc., work. I'm very pleased with it.

Comment

I've had kubuntu installed on my Asus S5N lappy for 3 weeks now. Works great.

Comment

older thread, yes, but figured I'd mention my Gateway 7510GX is up and running beautifully. AMD 64 3700+ mobile, 1024mb DDR 2700, 100GB hitachi hdd, broadcom wireless, ATI X600 mobile graphics, Yukon audio... took a while to configure, but it's working..

Comment

Working...
                  X