This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox update?

For 18.04, is there a problem with the Firefox 89.0.1 update offered through the updater?

(seems I'm thinking of some controversy about this, but I can't quite place it ...)

Thanks

(I posted this in Misc. but it doesn't show up when I press the What's New? button. What the heck is wrong here ... ? Is the What's New button not working?) ... I try to post this and get a database error ... something is screwed up.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

What problem are you seeing?

Comment

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/

Comment

I'm confused now, ha!

Ok, regarding Firefox: I have not yet accepted the update offered (through the updater).

Re the Forum:
        I posted once under Misc > Misc, but was not able to see my post pop up when I used the What's New button (on the Kubuntu Forums page, on the left).
        As a test, I posted the same question again under Catchall, but still did not see my post when I pressed the What's New button.

NOW, I DO see my post when I press the What's New button! But that took awhile to work.
        Also, along the way, when I tried to make those two posts, I got that message: ... database error ...

OK, so ignoring the issue at the Forum, what about that new Firefox update: does it produce any problems for the user?
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm confused now, ha!

Ok, regarding Firefox: I have not yet accepted the update offered (through the updater).

Re the Forum:
          I posted once under Misc > Misc, but was not able to see my post pop up when I used the What's New button (on the Kubuntu Forums page, on the left).
          As a test, I posted the same question again under Catchall, but still did not see my post when I pressed the What's New button.

NOW, I DO see my post when I press the What's New button! But that took awhile to work.
          Also, along the way, when I tried to make those two posts, I got that message: ... database error ...

OK, so ignoring the issue at the Forum, what about that new Firefox update: does it produce any problems for the user?

I get a Database error again!! Just now. I realize this is a duplicate post, though.

Comment

Something is screwed up here. I make a post, but it doesn't show up with the What's New button. Is there a built-in time delay or something? The Forum is not working the way I was used to.

Comment

Correction/clarification: I do NOT see MY post when I press What's New. But I do see Claydoh's response to my post! (the 2nd one I made, under Catchall). Yeah ... something is broken around here. Specifically, for one thing, the What's New button isn't working for me the way it has always worked (it is the main thing I always use to see, well, the new posts).

Comment

Correction/clarification: I do NOT see MY post when I press What's New. But I do see Claydoh's response to my post! (the 2nd one I made, under Catchall). Yeah ... something is broken around here. Specifically, for one thing, the What's New button isn't working for me the way it has always worked (it is the main thing I always use to see, well, the new posts).

And ... I got Data Base error again when I tried to post this. I had to go to Advanced. Then I press "Submit Reply," and it seems to go OK, except is tells me that I have a duplicate post!?

Comment

And ... I got Data Base error again when I tried to post this. I had to go to Advanced. Then I press "Submit Reply," and it seems to go OK, except is tells me that I have a duplicate post!?

Here goes ...

It didn't go! I got this message:
                  Database error
                  The Kubuntu Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
                  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
                  • Open the www.kubuntuforums.net home page, then try to open another page.
                  • Click the Back button to try another link.
                  The www.kubuntuforums.net forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
                  We apologise for any inconvenience.
                  I'll try again ...

Comment

Here goes ...

It didn't go! I got this message:
                    Database error
                    The Kubuntu Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
                    • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
                    • Open the www.kubuntuforums.net home page, then try to open another page.
                    • Click the Back button to try another link.
                    The www.kubuntuforums.net forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.
                    We apologise for any inconvenience.
                    I'll try again ...

Comment

As I've said more than once, KFN will continue to exhibit sporadic issues as long as we remain on vBulletin 4.2.5 and running our current OS version. Open Source will eventually get vBulletin 5 installed/configured and migrate the databases. But he, unlike many of us here, has an actual life that includes a family and a real job. KFN simply is not his first priority, and shouldn't be. He is aware of the issues we are experiencing. He is aware that I have been able to temporarily resolve these issues when they are brought to my attention. I get frustrated with these issues too. But we just need patience and tolerance. This too shall pass. 🙏
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 18, 2021, 09:53 AM.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, Snowhog or another expert will have to look at this, you are definitely having weird issues with the forum, I am not seeing this myself but these errors don't look fun.
                        My suggestion is to ignore the "what's new' for the moment.
                        This link will show your latest posts:
                        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/search...st&showposts=1
                        The database error seems to be specific to your account. maybe.

Back to the actual topic though:

there is nothing wrong with the latest firefox, though the new look seems to bug those who don't like that sort of thing.

Comment

I prefer the old tabs but it's not something I care about that much.

Comment

As to the question, there's nothing "wrong" with 89.0.1. There has been a post or two about the UI and where various users would like the tabs to be displayed. Other than that, it works just fine. I just don't care if the tabs are above this or below that, as long as the Menu Bar, Tabs, and Tool Bar are someplace in the same vicinity, the sequence is immaterial
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

claydoh, thanks, yes I do see My Posts in my Profile page.

jglen, thanks. As long as the tabs are easily changeable, no problem. I just can't afford to be down too much at this time, and I rely heavily on Firefox lately.

Comment

Working...
                              X