This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image viewer with split screen?

I need an image viewer that lets me use a split screen to view images simultaneously, side by side, that are in two different directories. Dolphin is perfect...except that I need to be able to actually *see* the images, and its previews are just too small. Gwenview apparently doesn't have a split-view mode.

After searching through Synaptic and coming up empty, I thought I'd ask here!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

In Dolphin you can hold own the Ctrl key and press + (plus on the keypad) numerous times to make the previews quite large. Use Ctrl and 0 (zero on the keypad) to return to the default size. Start with just one panel, enlarge the previews, then invoke the split view.
    Last edited by kenj70; Jun 05, 2021, 04:28 PM.
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
      In Dolphin you can hold own the Ctrl key and press + (plus on the keypad) numerous times to make the previews quite large. Use Ctrl and 0 (zero on the keypad) to return to the default size. Start with just one panel, enlarge the previews, then invoke the split view.
      Thanks, but unfortunately that just does the same thing Dolphin's zoom-slider does--and the maximum it enlarges the thumbnails is nowhere close to what I need.

For a mental picture, just think of one image taking up about half the screen, and the other image (in a different location, shown side by side with the first) taking up about the other half of the screen. I'm on a 17.3" laptop.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Two separate image viewer windows?

But actually there is a tool for that, called geeqie It is in the Ubuntu repository.

If you are looking for similar images and duplicates, Digikam has an interesting set of features that may be worth looking at, though not dual pane/dual dir

Actually, Geeqie may be able to do that as well.
        Last edited by claydoh; Jun 05, 2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

If you have a big monitor (or two monitors) just run two instances of Gwenview.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'd thought about, and dismissed, running two Gwenviews, but now it's starting to sound like a pretty good idea. I think I'll see if that works out well and post back.

Comment

--geometry works with gwenview, at least on X. I expect it would be fiddly, but doable to have a script that opens two instances side by side. For example,
              Code:
              gwenview  - - geometry 400x400+0+0 image1.png
              gwenview  - - geometry 400x400+400+0 image2.png
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X