This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 89 on Kubuntu 18.04

Apparently the boys at Firefox are obsessed with making the tabs be above the address bar...

I've been using the Chrome CSS fix to keep the tabs below the address bar but when I flipped on the computer this morning the tabs were at the bottom of the screen just above the task bar.
    I wound up having to delete the chrome fix just to make my computer usable.
    Now the tabs are above the address bar.

I'm looking for a fix that will put the tabs back below the address bar (where they are supposed to be)

Also looking for recommendations for something that looks/works like Firefox did years ago.

Help?
    Greg
    W9WD

Some solutions for tabs

And not only that, you can't distinguish tabs any more. Clicking into a tab changed in a kind of Russian roulette: will it be the good tab or will my screen explode? And they made the tabs unbelievable small too. If I didn't hate Google that much, I would have changed my developer browser long time ago.
    Okay, that was the rant.
    I've found two solutions.

To change the minimum width of the tabs:

* Type in the addressbar about:config
    * Confirm you really want to do this
    * Type in the new bar: browser.tabs.tabMinWidth
    * Doubleclick on the line with that name in it
    * Fill in the new minimum width
    * Click on the checkmark on the right to confirm you really want to do this. (Why? Don't ask me. Is there any chance somebody starts clicking here by accident?)
    * Close the window
    * Et voila (works right away, without restarting the browser)

If you want to set it back to default, follow the above first four steps, but now click on the arrow on the right. Checkmark now not necessary, just close the window.

To put the tabs on the bottom of the window (I didn't try this out, but people confirmed it works)

This is a bit more complicated, but not too difficult. You have to make a file with modifications Firefox will read when starting up. If you made this file, you really have to restart Firefox, otherwise it doesn't work.
    I wanted to write myself how to do this, but I think the tutorials I found are very clear, so I'll just put links to them.

* How to make that new file: https://www.userchrome.org/how-creat...hrome-css.html
    * To put tabs in the bottom, you can find the code to put in userChrome.css here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/...or_firefox_89/
    and a variant:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/...n_bottom_ff89/

On this site you can find lots of this kind of customizations:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/

In about:config you can make lots of customizations. But you have to be a bit careful, because you can completely make Firefox unworkable. I always keep a recent back-up of my Firefox profile folder, so I can put that back, if I did something stupid. (Actually I'm so clever, I do blow Firefox up more or less regularly.)
    In the file userChrome.css you can make a lot of customizations too. It's more or less normal css, so you can experiment with it without too much danger. Only annoying thing: you have to restart Firefox every time you change something in that file.
    Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Jun 03, 2021, 06:34 AM. Reason: Small addition

Comment

It seems a lot of chrome css fix users have had to delete that file because it placed the tabs just above the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
      Guess I'll have to wait until some smart person writes the new and improved chrome file to put them in the right spot.

Also hoping they will include a way to get rid of the "Transferring Data from..." box that pops up every time you go to a new page or watch a video.
      It's also located at the bottom of the page just above the taskbar.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Tabs belong on the top, btw. That is where they belong
        I'd be griping if they were moved, lol. I routinely tear tabs off and move them to different windows or their own. So of course they belong on the top. For me of course.

I am am sure though that someone will have a tweak to get them back where you like them, if it hasn't already been figured out by beta users.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/...or_firefox_89/
        https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/...ev_and_future/

Comment

If they would just go back to giving users a choice of where to put the tabs like they used to.
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Without disagreeing with that, users CAN change it, just not in the manner that they would like, I guess.

Comment

But you can change less and less things.
              For example: they made the default tab-width very small. Okay, you can change that in about:config. But they also made in this version the default height of the tabs much bigger. You could change that, but that's not possible any more.
              What surprises me the most all of the time: what's the reasoning behind this changes? The width of the tabs can be important, because of the title. But the height? If you are not Korean you probably don't write vertical. Just a waste of space.

By the way, I've misread the first post about the position of the tabs. But on the site I linked too there's also a tutorial how to put the tabs behind the address bar. Didn't try it, but the tutorials on that side look good.

Edit:
              Hehe, that should be 'beneath the address bar'...

Comment

I just noticed this change after today's update to 89.0 on 20.04 LTS I think it's a little clearer You should complain to Firefox directly, maybe they will fix it if enough complain.

Comment

I've downloaded Falkon and I like it.
                  I think I will be moving over.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

firefox 89 was broken for me when I updated today. One, only one, tab moved to the bottom, and the rest disappeared, unreachable. The only way to get to them was by dragging the current tab away, to open a new window with it, revealing another tab in the original window. The keyboard shortcuts are intercepted by KDE. Anyway, often I don't want to use the keyboard if my hand is on the mouse. It's hard to click on something that's not there.

I had to start firefox in safe mode and reset it.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

I use Container tabs which helps identify where they start and finish and also keeps the FB tab in it's own colour coded jail tab. FF 89 was also extremely slow to load pages today but clearing cache and cookies seem to have fixed it.
                      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Turns out Falkon is not being updated as far as I can tell.
                        I like it. Too bad.
                        The search continues...
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

Can't seem to get to page 2
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

Should be 'fixed' now.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 04, 2021, 09:54 AM.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Don't know how it affects the tab placement (I prefer mine on top) or issues with tabs, but there is an about:config setting for disabling the new UI browser.proton.enabled > false.

you can also change a few other "proton" settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X