Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will the 21.04 Upgrade prompt appear?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When will the 21.04 Upgrade prompt appear?

Is there some reason for the delay in the pop-up 21.04 Upgrade prompt appearing for users? Or is there any other way to Upgrade for non IT users? Specifically not using the command line.

My particular interest is for upgrading and not manually reinstalling. And in a way suitable for people who have never used the tools for IT pros.
    Last edited by ianp5a; May 13, 2021, 11:51 PM.

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
    Is there some reason for the delay in the pop-up 21.04 Upgrade prompt appearing for users?
    Yes, some users' systems failed to boot after the upgrade. Mostly it's older computers, especially Macs. The fix has had to involve Microsoft. If you don't want to use the command line, I imagine you wouldn't be keen on the measures to fix a borked boot.

Sent from my VFD 822 using Tapatalk
    Regards, John Little

Comment

You'd get a borked boot whichever way you upgraded.

I understand that boot issue was fixed and that the upgrade should now be available.
      You can finally upgrade to Ubuntu 21.04 from 20.10 as the boot-breaking bug blocking the process has been resolved
      https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/05/...-04-from-20-10
      Last edited by ianp5a; May 14, 2021, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Please review these instructions from Kubuntu.

Please note, this applies to upgrading from 20.10 to 21 04, not some other upgrade path.
        Last edited by jglen490; May 14, 2021, 05:30 AM.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
          Please review these instructions from Kubuntu.

Please note, this applies to upgrading from 20.10 to 21 04, not some other upgrade path.
          Thanks. Those instructions don't cover it sadly.

Comment

Sometimes the upgrade notification just doesn't work, so the '-d' switch instead of the '-m' will work.

But more likely it is just taking time for the switched-on state to get out to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Sometimes the upgrade notification just doesn't work, so the '-d' switch instead of the '-m' will work.
              But more likely it is just taking time for the switched-on state to get out to everyone.
              Thanks. I'll wait some more and hope it appears. I gave up waiting last time though. And did a full reinstall.
              Last edited by ianp5a; May 15, 2021, 12:23 AM.

Comment

After giving up waiting through a few versions, I finally found out how to start the upgrade from the desktop.

I found 2 ways:
                1) Install update-manager. Which installs an app called 'Software Updater', which triggers the version Upgrade when available.
                2) Go to the app Muon Package Manager. it has a button for updates as well as a "Full Upgrade" button.

This is now solved for me. Finally non IT users can upgrade like the old days.

Attached Files
                Last edited by ianp5a; Nov 13, 2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X