Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Do Steam games require being online?

A few days ago, my power was partially out for several hours. Naturally, one of the two areas affected was the room where all my modems/routers live. So I was without an Internet connection for a few hours.

I thought, gee, this is a great time to play some of those games I bought from Steam recently! So I tried to fire them up...

...but nothing worked. It was looking for, and failing to find, a connection.

I thought these were standalone games, installed on my computer, that could be played offline. None is competitive/played against other players/multi-player/etc.

Is there a setting I've missed? Or did I completely misunderstand what I was buying?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

I think it depends on the game and/or the games actual publisher. Some may need to be 'validated' online. Steam does have options to sync saved games, I get a warning when I am offline, but a couple of games I play do load offline just fine, though these are old ones like Half Life 2. Will test some more in a bit.

Comment

So far every single game I have tried works fine offline
      Borderlands2
      All my Half Life /HL2 games
      Metro Exodus
      Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Comment

Interesting. Thanks, @claydoh.

I've scoured my settings on Steam; if there's something there controlling this behavior, I've missed it.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Again, I don't think anything in Steam is doing this, but the individual games themselves requiring a connection. I don't use any customized Steam options at all that I can recall, other than the location of my game library.

Comment

Gotcha!

Comment

Steam has an offline mode. It's in the settings

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                Steam has an offline mode. It's in the settings
                But, as I noted, I've scoured its settings, and yet still couldn't play without a connection, so I'm either MISSING something in its settings (can you point me to it?) or it just isn't working for me!

Comment

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-agcb-2555
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, @Snowhog! I believe that's it! (And sorry I was too lazy to find it myself.)

Comment

Working...
                    X