Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Run multiple, unrelated instances of Chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Run multiple, unrelated instances of Chrome?

I'd like to be able to run multiple, separate, unrelated instances of Chrome. I need to make sure they're each completely independent of each other, with no sharing, viewing, reading, writing of any config files, cookies, cache, etc.

I know my friend Google may be able to clue me in, but I figured if someone here--who's using the same OS I am--happens to know how to do this, that would be great. Anyone?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

You might want to try firejail. It's in the repository. It's like running an app in chroot.
    Read all about it here: https://firejail.wordpress.com/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You can use multiple profiles with any chromium based browser. Different profiles use different configs and caches.
      With chromium, I use "chromium-browser --user-data-dir=$HOME/.config/profilename/" to launch a specific profile. (this is for Chromium, so edit it if you launch Chrome)
      The "profilename" profiles also have their own cache directories in $HOME/.cache/.

You could probably combine that with firejail, if you wish, but firejail can be a bit tricky to configure right so it's actually effective, but not too restrictive (especially with chromium based browsers that use their own sandboxing). I wouldn't bother with it when using open-source Chromium, but Chrome is sort of different, since no one knows what the hell it does behind the scenes.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think this, chromium-browser --user-data-dir=$HOME/.config/profilename/, is what I had in mind, but didn't know how to do. I have some experimenting to do!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I just wanted to update this with the solution, which @kubicle nudged me toward.

The syntax for Chrome is:

Code:
          google-chrome --profile-directory=ProfileName
          where ProfileName is the name Chrome assigns the profile, as found in $HOME/.config/google-chrome, not the name you gave it when creating it. So, for example, the profile that I named TestOne is called with this:

Code:
          google-chrome --profile-directory="Profile 1"
          Others are:

Code:
          google-chrome --profile-directory="Profile 2"
          google-chrome --profile-directory="Profile 3"
          and so on.

Works like a charm!

Comment

Working...
          X