This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 20.10 Vivaldi Installation

Hello, I tried to install the newest version of Vivaldi Browser on Kubuntu 20.10 with QApt. But I got the message "Error: Cannot satisfy dependencies". How can I install Vivaldi?
    Kind regards,
    Sigurd

You probably need to go to Vivaldi and see what the issue may be. They probably have not updated their deb for 20.10 or have to provide one specifically for it.

The dependency it is missing is most likely something that has been updated in 20.10 and the deb wants the old version.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello Claydoh,
      I don't think so. I was at the Vivaldi forum and I got the following advice:
      " ◦ wget https://download.vivaldi.com/stable/...86-1_amd64.deb
      ◦ sudo apt-get update
      ◦ sudo dpkg -i vivaldi stable_3.4.2066-1_amd64.deb
      ◦ sudo apt-get -f install"
      This will and did install Vivaldi without any problem. So what is the difference between QApt and dpkg?

Kind regards,
      Sigurd

Comment

Nothing, really. Qapt is using dpkg under the hood. Qapt can also handle missing deps, while dpkg by itself cannot.

Without knowing what the missing dep was, it is hard to tell what/ where the issue was. The latest deb was updated within the past day or two, who knows? My guess is the packaging makes Qapt think there is a dep to fill, when there really isn't. Or a bug in Qapt that this particular package reveals?
        Usually with third party debs, the first place to look for problems and solutions is the creator's website. Not all packages are created following same standards, as well, particularly third part ones.
        When the gui fails, it is also good to see what the command line says

Comment

Working...
        X