This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
    FYI, I picked up a refub Lenovo. The only thing I can't get working under Kubuntu is the touchpad, but that's apparently a known issue given how it handles interaction between the bios and the touchpad, and because I'm operating in legacy mode to make Kubuntu work. Hopefully, once Barrier and a few other apps are available for 20.04 I can make the jump, at which point I'll have everything working under UEFI correctly, and that should work. And if not, meh, no biggy. I prefer external mice anyways.
    What model? I bet we can get things working. Maybe even easily and simply [emoji1]

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have used thinkpads here for years. Never had a problem with them running linux. only thing not working on this one is the fingerprint reader , it works but is buggy. so just don't use it.
      Buy them reconditioned for as little as 200 bucks.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I use an Acer with a Ryzen 5 & RX560, I don't think it was offered for long because the nvidia models are more powerful. PopOS doesn't seem to have any issues.
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0811ZPQ1Y

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to you. Totally forgot about this thread. ^_^;;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XSMQCZQ/

Yeah, I picked up this one figuring to save a few buck. Boy, I'm immediately regretting that. Should've gotten a higher end model. Oh well, live and learn. It'll hold me for now until I can take the next step up in the near future and go with something better. Mental note, don't go cheap on Laptops. lol.

Comment

I think it's more the processor than anything there. i3s to me are what the Celeron always was. i5s are way better for most things. i7s (2.5GHz or above) if you intend to do gaming. I'd also recommend i7s for video editing.

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
              Sorry for not getting back to you. Totally forgot about this thread. ^_^;;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XSMQCZQ/

Yeah, I picked up this one figuring to save a few buck. Boy, I'm immediately regretting that. Should've gotten a higher end model. Oh well, live and learn. It'll hold me for now until I can take the next step up in the near future and go with something better. Mental note, don't go cheap on Laptops. lol.
              Assuming that you are still using a legacy install on the Lenovo, what specifically made you use that over EFI?

I will make an edumacated guess it will end up being the Intel RST being enabled in the firmware settings keeping the hard drive from being seen by Linux.

Comment

Well, compatibility mostly. I use the laptop for work and my desktop spans across several machines, the laptop included. So, to merge all into one keyboard and mouse, I use Barrier. That's not available for 20.04 yet, so I'm staying on 18.04 until that's updated, then I'll make the jump. Same goes for a couple other minor apps I use occasionally that I'd really like to carry over as well if possible. Also, I can get 18.04 working under UEFI. But for some reason Kubuntu won't see the touchpad saying it doesn't exist. I'm not sure if that's a bios issue or if something else is involved at this point. But, I'm holding off working on that until I get more time to actually futz with it.

Comment

Working...
                X