X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] dpkg identifies a kernel I no longer have installed

Running 20.04.

The initial kernel, 5.3.0-24-generic that came with the .iso wasn't flagged for autoremoval; it was identified as 'manually installed', which is the case for the kernel on a new OS installation. Since then, two kernel updates have been installed via apt update && apt full-upgrade. I like to keep a very clean system, and part of that is keeping only the currently booted kernel and the one that immediately preceded it. So I removed 5.3.0-24-generic following the instructions for Manual Maintenance at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RemoveOldKernels

After updating the database (sudo updatedb) and even after several reboots, dpkg --list | grep linux-image identifies:

Code:
    [B]rc[/B] linux-image-5.3.0-24-generic         5.3.0-24.26         amd64    Signed kernel image generic
    in the listing.

rc 'remove/deinstall' 'config-files (only the config files are installed)'

Running locate *5.3.0-24* returns nothing.

So if config-files for this removed kernel are actually on my system somewhere, where are they?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Are you sure you purged the kernel package (sudo apt purge linux-image-5.3.0-24-generic) which removes the package and he config files, and not just removed the kernel (sudo apt remove linux-image-5.3.0-24-generic) which removes the package but leaves the config files installed.

Comment

Well!

Headslap because I utilize a bash_aliases file I copy from one installation to another; have been doing so for a LONG TIME. I was originally using apt-get (apt wasn't around 'then'). I have cleaned up entries that used apt-get and changed them to apt, but in the case the alias called cleanup, while I had replaced apt-get for apt, I had retained apt-get's --purge autoremove. --purge isn't recognized by apt, so it's been ignored and I wasn't aware of that.

Running sudo apt purge linux-image-5.3.0-24-generic does in fact identify that kernel for removal. Has to be just the left over cruft that I haven't been able to locate but that dpkg still sees. After running the command, dpkg --list | grep linux-image no longer reports that kernel.

Thank you!
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just looked at mine, and OMG! Have I a pot-full of crap like that. Thanks for bringing this up. Quite frankly, except for my current mess with the 5.3 kernels, I've never actually been the one to take removal action on any kernels. I've accepted upgrades and assumed that removal of old ones was automagic. So I'll start on my list and start purging the old 4.x series kernels and kill the 5.3 kernels until I can figure out a solution. Thankfully, the 5.0 kernels are good.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
        X