This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CubeSDR and Linux radio

About 68 years ago my dad bought a Zenith All Band portable radio receiver. It used B and C batteries which gave it about 4 hours of battery life, otherwise one had to use the power cord. It had an extension antenna, similar to what used to be on automobiles, about 5' long. I played with that for hours on end, mostly at night, listening to AM stations all across the country and shortwave stations all around the world.

Back 55 years ago, when I was in grad school, I took a class in electronics. That was during the time when vacuum tubes were giving way to transistors. I decided to get an amature radio license, which was WN5VSX. As a novice I was restricted to CW and Morse code. I built a whittle bug and a Heathkit 60 Watt DC transmitter. I bought a Swan Receiver. I built a 15' cubical quad antenna, which focused my 60 watts like a laser.

Then I began tapping out "CQ CQ CQ WN5VSX", and listen for the response. The problem was that the bug let me tap out at 20 wpm but I could only read at 5-10 wpm. However, I had a blast with those willing to put up with me. My best contact was getting a 5X9 in Japan. The quad antenna was allowing my 60 watts to swamp 1,000 watt rigs that were less focused.

The radio bug hit me again this week end when I noticed a YouTube video about the CubeSDR (Software Defined Radio). I checked and found it in the repository, so I installed it and ordered this RTL-SDR kit for $30. It can tune from 500 kHz to 1.7 GHz and has up to 3.2 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth (2.4 MHz stable) It came yesterday and I managed to set it up this morning. The CubeSDR software handled it nicely.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CubeSDR_output.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	649571
    Now, to track down the ISS, and, SpaceX's frequencies!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

KFN definitely needs a packet radio interface Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_colors.gif
Views:	4
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	644504

Comment

SpaceX microsat bandwidths

I started searching for SpaceX com frequencies and found this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	microsat_bandwidths.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	644508
      Their downlink will be 1.44 Gbps at 2.8 watts.
      The customer transceivers will be of two types: one at 720 Mbps, the other 1.44 Mbps.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 15, 2020, 12:34 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Now, to track down the ISS, and, SpaceX's frequencies!
        What!? You aren't going to try and listen in on any conversations from Starman and Elon?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X