This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I delete this?

Please don't laugh. I'm having memory problems and need some help.

I have a directory that, for some unknown reason, five years ago I decided to link to another directory using Dolphin, rather than the ln command, which I'd never done before. This is how it appears:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_link_110919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	649530

There's another directory that displays the same link icon which I linked via ln. According to Dolphin, that icon represents a 'basic link to file or directory.' My question is: can I safely delete these? I mean without also deleting the directories they're linked to?

Additionally, I cannot for the life of me remember how to unlink something that I linked using ln. Yes, I've read its man page. I've searched apropos. I've used "info coreutils 'ln invocation'" and I'm still not clear.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

As it is a symlink (soft link), it won't remove the destination if deleted. Creating the link in Dolphin is essentially using the ln command anyway, and iirc the way to unlink is to simply delete the created symlink.

Comment

Thank you, claydoh.

I've made a huge mess of this laptop...well, I'm trying to clean it up now...
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X