This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

display/desktop problem - not sure where else this should be

Various problems have got me here (I won't bore you with those).

I'm trying to do a few (probably basic - to you guys) customisations.

I don't know where to start as I can't find anything that will tell me what various screen items are called/known as to explain it, but here goes...

Login screen. Has both the users. I've managed to change the icon/picture thingy that shows her user account, and thought I'd done the same choosing the image for my user account except that the login image I chose in the user manager facility doesn't show up. I see some sort of default type image.

Equally, when I open something in dolphin I can see yet a different user icon/image.

Perhaps someone could point me toward where I can change these to my choice or maybe just some sort of "idiots guide" so I can actually use terms/phrases to describe what I'm trying to do in a less vague manner ?

TVM

p.s. I'm even having issues posting this, because apparently there's some characters that can't be used in a title - and I can see no info that explains this (yes, I may be there but I'm looking for the wrong search term etc) - any info is welcomed
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Login screen, I do get my custom image.
    In the Application launcher, what image do you get? I get this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	nm.png
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	644336

Which is correct*. If you click on the image, you can change it. Is that what you did?

If I open something in Dolphin, I can see no user-icon/images. Not sure what you mean here.

About forbidden characters in post titles, it's explained here.

* I have three computers, one for work, one for home, one for everything.
    So, my user being "not", I have not@work, not@home, and not@all. :·)

Comment

I'm not sure if KDE still uses the .face or .face.icon. So see below. I have no issues with mine showing up. The below should be set up through System Settings --> Account Details --> User Manager. Click on the Account image and it should give you a menu to change. However if that doesn't seem to work you can take your image and copy and rename it as seen below. Should work.

If you cannot see the below files while Dolphin is open it is because they are hidden files. Press "ALT ." (without quotes) to show hidden files. To note those files are in the root of your Home folder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_487.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	644337

Comment

User Icons.

The file that you want to use as your User icon should be a PNG file and saved as "~/.face.icon" . This is /home/MYUSERNAME/.face.icon

You can set it via the Gui using System Settings -> Account Details. Click on the user you wish to change the icon for and then click the box next to the user name (it maybe an empty square or hold the current icon). Select your icon put in your password. Log Out and Check Sddm then log in. You should see the icon you select in the menu .

" Equally, when I open something in dolphin I can see yet a different user icon/image."
        IDK where your looking can you please post an image or link to an image showing what your talking about.

@Moonrise When you use the tool in system settings it copies the file to .face but then makes a simlink to .face.icon i think this is for "compatibility" reasons
        Last edited by sithlord48; Oct 05, 2019, 06:54 AM.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I thought that was the case but couldn't remember right off. Either way, the UI should work. I just changed mine and back again without issues.

Comment

Well, if you click on the image in the Application launcher, it does open System Settings --> Account Details --> User Manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              Well, if you click on the image in the Application launcher, it does open System Settings --> Account Details --> User Manager.
              I Didn't know that I since use the "Application Menu" and it does not show the user icon at all.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thank you for the responses. I seem to have managed to change it from the default to one of the other installed/available images.

I went into the user manager in my own login, clicked on the image I wanted to use (which was already showing as the one I'd selected) and clicked through as normal, and it seems to have worked.

I'm just wondering if it's one of those bits of weirdness that the image that shows has to be selected from the list or added by the actual user (I "think" I did the initial changes when I was adding my partners user account info during the install etc).

At least, if the guidance you guys have provided doesn't actually "sink in", at least it's here so it's searchable
                What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

Comment

Working...
                X