• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invidious driver

-----------------------------------------------------------
    From the Cambridge English Dictionary:
    invidious (adjective)
    uk ​ /ɪnˈvɪd.i.əs/ us ​ /ɪnˈvɪd.i.əs/ formal
    ​likely to cause unhappiness or be unpleasant, especially because it is unfair
    From the Thesaurus - synonyms and related words:
    abominable abysmal apocalyptic appalling emetic grimness grisly grotesque grotesquely gruesome nauseating putrid raging rebarbative repugnant repulsive revolting suffocating terrible
    -----------------------------------------------------------

So, my nvidia driver.
    It works OK - better than the nouveau, it seems. Except... it splashes "PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key" all over the boot screen (I don't use quiet or splash) and dmesg (in very bright red).
    No big deal. Still... you know... why not try to get rid of it...
    Hours of pretty much fruitless search pretty much boil down to: nothing to be done, really, ask Nvidia to sign their phriqqin' drivers.
    Which I'm not going to do, so... I tried reverting to the nouveau. Which gets rid of the messages, but,
    as soon as I revert, the system almost crashes.
    At reboot, it goes into 1024x768, and you can't get it out of it.
    So I re-revert to the invidious one, and live with it.

Thing is, before I installed the invidious one, the nouveau was causing only minor problems.
    It just seems the proprietary one is envious and getting invidious about it. Oh well

Actually, it's a zero problem. There is no problem/error/issue with the Nvidia driver and this dmesg notice. The driver is a binary blob without a discernible signature key, but that in itself is not a problem unless you have a fundamental issue with binary blobs. Using the "quiet" option on the boot sequence will resolve this issue for you and you can still always search dmesg for real errors or look in KsystemLog for them, also.

The Nouveau driver is intentionally generalized. It works. It is also not as capable as a video card-specific driver, although it is pretty good for what it brings to the table.

Or, you can remove the Nvidia driver ...
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Oh. I agree. I said "No big deal".
      I just find it vaguely annoying that dmesg prints
      PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key at least eight times... and they are the only red entries.
      But only vaguely.
      So I just thought hey, why not get rid of them. Which I can't do, so it's... vaguely annoying. That's all.

Using the vieux nouveau driver does get rid of them, except, I can only use 1024x678 mode, which is definitely more annoying. And it didn't use to to that, which is vaguely puzzling.
      But that's all. Not a problem.

Oh, and I love my "noisy" no-splash mode. It's like booting a nuclear power plant (in cheap movies:-). It's also somewhat "informative".

Comment

Yeah, "informative", and a thousand lines later

JK, it's all good, and choice is GREAT
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Some of my favourite dmessages:

Base memory trampoline at [(____ptrval____)]
          Reserved but unavailable:
          Booting paravirtualized kernel on bare hardware
          clocksource: refined-jiffies:
          Calgary: Unable to locate Rio Grande table in EBDA - bailing!
          cpuidle: using governor ladder
          cpuidle: using governor menu
          hpet: number irqs doesn't agree with number of timers
          eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9200 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
          Created slice System Slice.
          nvidia: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel

Comment

Working...
          X