X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended??

https://www.linuxbabe.com/ubuntu/upg...m-command-line

no

A random website with Linux in its name surely must be reputable and 100% accurate and dpeopendsble, right?

I mean, it probably would be OK, but there is ZERO testing on this sort of jump. The upgrader tools (gui or cli) have things in them specifically to account for any specific issues that need to be addressed during an upgrade. It does not simply change things from "bionic" to "cosmic". LTS to LTS upgrades are supported and tested so that the upgrader can account for the system changes properly. There is zero testing for version skipping, so any system differences are not accounted for.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	64D6C5CB-15A2-4EDF-80AE-96E4FEFC9D59.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	644175

Could not resist.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No exclamation points!!

Anyway to both of you:

Comment

So, just quick note, anyway I can make sure I can list all extra items I installed so I can reinstall without too much remembering?

Comment

Moonrise, be aware that 19.04 is in the Development stream, not the LTS stream. It gets many file updates because of that, more than I experienced with the LTS versions.

I'm running 19.04 now, but I did a fresh install to an empty system, which is generally cleaner and simpler.

Do have a backup...

Is there anything in particular that you want from 19.04 that you don't think you have with 18.04? If not, then there may be no need to make the change.

That being said, I'm happy with 19.04 and have had no significant problem with the pre-release version.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
              So, just quick note, anyway I can make sure I can list all extra items I installed so I can reinstall without too much remembering?
              https://github.com/teejee2008/aptik-gtk

Comment

Or directly via https://medium.com/@teejeetech/aptik...2-bc635a66490a
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks all!

@TWP, thanks, I do understand that but my understanding is this LTS version, 18.04, won't be getting many if any KDE updates. So my thinking to stay on top of KDE advances, this would be an option. Still reviewing and contemplating. Not a definite though.

Comment

That is why I went to the bleeding edge with 19.04... Enjoy.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                      Thanks all!

@TWP, thanks, I do understand that but my understanding is this LTS version, 18.04, won't be getting many if any KDE updates. So my thinking to stay on top of KDE advances, this would be an option. Still reviewing and contemplating. Not a definite though.
                      What you *really* want is KDE Neon Best of both worlds, mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                        That is why I went to the bleeding edge with 19.04... Enjoy.

Still mulling it over!

Comment

@ Claydoh;

I did that a while back. Had issues and went to Maui which on there last few releases was based on Neon. It was great but that distro soon hit abandoned state, so it still seems to me. So I went back to Kubuntu with 18.04. Rock Solid, but I miss the updates on the KDE packages.

I've thought about Neon again or what I've stated above with 19.04. Just don't know at moment.

As you can see in my Avatar image, hints of Neon can still be seen!

Comment

I have been running 19.04 virtually, and it has been very smooth except for one little irritating glitch while trying to update. First I use the Apt commands, but get an error message saying it can't unlock the updates. I go to Discover and get the same message. So I shut it down, but the shutdown is put on hold while an 'unattended update? is being done. When I restart 19.04, the updates work OK. Weird, huh?

Comment

OldGeek, I've seen this too, but only if I first run Discover and click on the "Checking for Updates" menu item (bottom left). It seems to lock up something which apt wants to use. A system reboot clears that lockup and lets apt run again. Minor glitch and I really try not to use Discover for anything. Muon and Synaptic are better, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X