Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] update/upgrade problem - ppp package ?

I'm no expert. Just someone who uses, likes and values Kubuntu - no engineering skills or understanding (don't even know if this is in the right place - if not, sorry my bad)...

Anyway, system shows that there's an update/upgrade. Whether I select the taskbar icon and try to update that way (that just hangs with an open updating window and seems to do nothing - other than telling me I can't close it as it still has stuff to do).

If I try via the menu and open the Muon Package manager (and however I manage to get the package that's upgradeable to show up in the listing), I can tell it to do the update and it either hangs or does nothing.

The package is ppp (2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1) which shows as upgradable but then shows "no change" in the second column on the Muon window - I can meddle with showing it via status, I can meddle with it by getting it to list and a selected upgrade etc, then it doesn't matter what I do, it just won't upgrade the package - it just reverts the package listing as upgradeable and no change.

I "think" I may have got the system upgraded to 18.10 but I don't know as I did change the software sources to "normal" updates from LTS updates and I did install this as 18.04LTS

Can anyone suggest where I go from here please as I'm at a complete loss ?
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

In such cases, using the terminal maybe more helpful.

Open konsole and run sudo apt update and follow that with sudo apt full-upgrade. Post the entire output here for people to read.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

And to determine which Kubuntu release you are on, again in konsole enter
      Code:
      inxi -S
      EDIT: You may not have inxi, a very handy utility, so install it
      Code:
      sudo apt install inxi
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Ok, so inxi -S gives me this...
        Code:
        System:    Host: johnspc Kernel: 4.15.0-38-generic x86_64 bits: 64
                  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.6 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
        sudo apt update gives me this...
        Code:
        sudo apt update
        Hit:1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
        Hit:2 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease                             
        Hit:3 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease                     
        Hit:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease       
        Hit:5 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease    
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree       
        Reading state information... Done
        1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.
        And sudo apt full-upgrade gives me this...
        Code:
        sudo apt full-upgrade
        Building dependency tree       
        Calculating upgrade... Done
        The following packages will be upgraded:
         ppp
        1 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
        Need to get 0 B/328 kB of archives.
        After this operation, 1,024 B disk space will be freed.
        Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
        E: Invalid archive member header �5�nkZ(hd �se�n�<������k�i�^>\�
        E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
        debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: No such file or directory
        (Reading database ... 227774 files and directories currently installed.)
        Preparing to unpack .../ppp_2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb ...
        Unpacking libxkbcommon0:amd64 (0.8.0-1ubuntu0.1) over (0.8.0-1ubuntu0.1) ...
        Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
        Setting up libxkbcommon0:amd64 (0.8.0-1ubuntu0.1) ...
        Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
        W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (0 vs 6).
          Affected packages: ppp:amd64
        I've done "dist upgrades" before, but that's been when the system has told me that a new version is available. I "think" I managed to tell the system to do an upgrade to 18.10 but it doesn't look (judging from the info from inxi) that it has done that.

Could it be that there's some sort of conflict going on or am I thinking miles wide of the game ?

Comment

Check your sources.list using
          cat /etc/apt/sources.list | less

I don't know what 18.10's acronym is but if you see it listed then remove those lines and rebuild the cache.
          As a general rule a fresh install ALWAYS works better then a version upgrade. 18.10 has a short support life, why the need to switch?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

you are still on 18.04-Bionic.

just to clarify "apt-get dist-upgrade" dose not take you to the next release (IE: 18.04 to18.10) , it dose the same thing as "apt full-upgrade , that is allow the removal of a old package version to a new one , see "man apt-get" for the info.

I would run the "apt full-upgrade" again to see that all is well + you can run
            Code:
            dpkg -l | grep ppp
            Code:
            vinny@vinny-bonox8:~$ dpkg -l | grep ppp
            ii  ppp                                             2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1                          amd64        Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) - daemon
            to see that "ppp" is in fact up to this version .

if on rerunning apt full-upgrade you get errors , post them .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Does running sudo apt clean help? This is because of E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Ok, thankyou all for the pointers etc. It seems that doing chimak111's suggestion of the sudo apt clean command, followed by sudo apt full-upgrade command suggested by vinnywright it gave me this
                Code:
                sudo apt full-upgrade
                Building dependency tree       
                Calculating upgrade... Done
                The following packages will be upgraded:
                 ppp
                1 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
                Need to get 328 kB of archives.
                After this operation, 1,024 B disk space will be freed.
                Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
                Get:1 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 ppp amd64 2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1 [328 kB]
                Fetched 328 kB in 0s (1,122 kB/s)
                (Reading database ... 227774 files and directories currently installed.)
                Preparing to unpack .../ppp_2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb ...
                Unpacking ppp (2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1) over (2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1) ...
                Setting up ppp (2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1) ...
                Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-20) ...
                ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
                Processing triggers for systemd (237-3ubuntu10.4) ...
                Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
                Given that the "upgrades" icon on my taskbar has also disappeared, I'm presuming that it has upgraded/updated (not sure what the difference is between the two words in this environment).

Then following Vinny's suggestion to run the dkpg/grep command, it tells me this
                Code:
                dpkg -l | grep ppp
                ii  ppp                                             2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1                          amd64        Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) - daemon
                So while I still don't understand exactly what the ppp daemon does, it seems I now have the updated/upgraded version running.

A massive thanks for all your hints/tips and guidance

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  I'm presuming that it has upgraded/updated (not sure what the difference is between the two words in this environment).
                  It maybe overkill to suggest reading https://debian-handbook.info/browse/...t.apt-get.html, but

re. sudo apt update
                  the aim of the apt update command is to download for each package source the corresponding Packages (or Sources) file.
                  and re. sudo apt upgrade
                  This command looks for installed packages which can be upgraded without removing any packages.
                  and re. sudo apt full-upgrade
                  With this instruction, apt will complete the upgrade even if it has to remove some obsolete packages or install new dependencies.
                  Many of us use sudo apt update followed by sudo apt full-upgrade rather than sudo apt update followed by sudo apt upgrade.

An added feature of using sudo apt upgrade or sudo apt full-upgrade is that no debs are retained in /var/cache/apt/archives unless you explicitly make a change to certain defaults (or use apt-get instead of apt).
                  Last edited by chimak111; Nov 11, 2018, 03:58 AM.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                    So while I still don't understand exactly what the ppp daemon does,
                    Neither do I and that's not limited to ppp but for most other packages on my system

But ppp seems to be something included in a variety of Ubuntu flavors:
                    Task: ubuntu-core, ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-full, xubuntu-core, xubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop-share, lubuntu-gtk-desktop, lubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-qt-desktop, ubuntustudio-desktop-core, ubuntustudio-desktop, ubuntukylin-desktop, ubuntu-mate-core, ubuntu-mate-desktop, ubuntu-budgie-desktop
                    Ref: https://helpmanual.io/packages/apt/ppp/
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Code:
                      vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show ppp
                      Package: ppp
                      Version: 2.4.7-2+2ubuntu1.1
                      Priority: optional
                      Section: admin
                      Origin: Ubuntu
                      Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
                      Original-Maintainer: Chris Boot <bootc@debian.org>
                      Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                      Installed-Size: 971 kB
                      Depends: libpam-modules, libpam-runtime, lsb-base, procps, libc6 (>= 2.15), libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1), libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.8), libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0)
                      Breaks: network-manager (<< 0.9.8.8-7~), network-manager-pptp (<< 0.9.8.4-3~), pppdcapiplugin (<< 1:3.25+dfsg1-3.4~)
                      Homepage: http://ppp.samba.org/
                      Task: ubuntu-core, ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-full, xubuntu-core, xubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop-share, lubuntu-gtk-desktop, lubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-qt-desktop, ubuntustudio-desktop-core, ubuntustudio-desktop, ubuntukylin-desktop, ubuntu-mate-core, ubuntu-mate-desktop, ubuntu-budgie-desktop
                      Supported: 5y
                      Download-Size: 328 kB
                      APT-Manual-Installed: yes
                      APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 Packages
                      Description: Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) - daemon
                      The Point-to-Point Protocol provides a standard way to transmit
                      datagrams over a serial link, as well as a standard way for the machines
                      at either end of the link to negotiate various optional characteristics
                      of the link.
                      This package is most commonly used to manage a modem for dial-up or
                      certain kinds of broadband connections.

N: There is 1 additional record. Please use the '-a' switch to see it
                      you probably do not even use it .

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Still a lot I don't understand, but it does seem strange that they still include it (presumably as part of the default packages) as standard.

If it's only used for dial up and "certain kinds of broadband connections" that it's not just a selection prompted by a "what kind of internet connection do you use ?" type question somewhere that's clear...

But hey ho! I'm just so pleased that I understood all the advice and suggestions to get this sorted out - even though I don't really follow how it got sorted...

I can't thank you all enough...

Comment

Working...
                        X