This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kmail Inbox

I am now using Kmail version 5.7.3. In the address panel to the left there are two folders, one in the name of the server, the other 'Local Folders'. When I collect incoming mail they appear in the inbox of the former which seems to mean I need to be online to read them (not sure about that - seems to be sometimes yes, sometimes no). I would prefer to have them in the inbox of Local Folders so I can read them offline - how can I achieve that, please? I have found and ticked 'Download all messages for offline reading' and in Accounts - Identities set 'Sent-mail folder' to Local Folders/sent mail but there is no option for received mail.

A filter will probably do what you want to do. When I was using KMail I'd set up filters so that email from specific sources would go into specific folders, and not into the "INBOX". IIRC, there is an "ALL" or "ANY" flag in the filters.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If you have checked the "download all messages for offline" in your imap account settings, your mails should be viewable even when offlline (akonadi handles that). The Local folders are for mails that are only stored on your machine, commonly used with older pop3 protocol...although imap also uses some of the local folders (commonly outbox-for not already sent messages, trash-for deleted mails sent-for sent mail [if imap not configured to use server folder for those, or imap server offline], etc.

You're probably using imap if your mail folders are under the accountname in kmail folder list, and it's generally better than pop3 (especially if you need to access your mail from multiple devices)...and there should be no need to move your mail to the "local folders" (The "local folders" on your machine are not available on any other devices or on the server (every device has their own local folders). Local folder/inbox is basically redundant in common imap configurations.

Comment

Thank you for the help

"download all messages for offline"

That seems to have been the solution, my thanks to both of you. Though for preceding messages I have to be online to reread them or view attachments, seems I cannot bring all those down as one block.

However it also seems to have made some interesting colour changes - script in the server block at top left sometimes appears in red. That is actually an improvement because normally it is a pale blue on a pale yellow background, very difficult to read. I might see if I can make that permanent.
        ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
          Though for preceding messages I have to be online to reread them or view attachments, seems I cannot bring all those down as one block
          Does it download the messages if you right-click on the account inbox and choose "refresh this folder with subfolders"? If not, another option would be to remove the account from kmail and re-create it with the offline download box checked from the start (this should download all the messages from the account...which could take a while it you have a large inbox)

Comment

Downloading

Thank you, I will try that. Incidentally, how do I mark this thread as now SOLVED?

Comment

Click on Thread Tools.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
                Thank you, I will try that. Incidentally, how do I mark this thread as now SOLVED?
                Done, thank you, and made a note of that for future use. :-)=

Comment

Working...
                X