• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
    In Konsole I ran kdenlive-18.04.1b-x86_64.AppImage --appimage-help
    Short response, to run something in Konsole put "./" in front of it:
    Code:
    ./kdenlive-18.04.1b-x86_64.AppImage --appimage-help
    Unless you've put your current directory in your $PATH, your shell won't find it, because it looks in the PATH, unless there's a slash in the command name, and . is the current directory.

Having the current directory to the PATH was once normal and default, but became frowned upon for the security risk; f.ex. a script called "ls" that does nefarious things (send your private keys to hackers, install a keylogger, start a fork bomb, delete your cat pictures), someone sees a directory, changes into it, and types ls. But with single-user, single-access machines I don't see the risk so add a blank entry or a . to my PATH in my startup scripts.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

In those sorts of situations, I usually use Dolphin to get to the correct directory, then hit F-4 to bring up a console window within that directory.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        In those sorts of situations, I usually use Dolphin to get to the correct directory, then hit F-4 to bring up a console window within that directory.
        Even then jlittle is right. You need to prefix the command with ./ which means "in the current directory". If the current directory isn't in the path then the target won't be found.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 15, 2018, 08:50 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for setting me straight - again. I searched for what that ./ was all about and no one could give a straight answer. Your explanation here was much better. unix System V had much less in the way of commands like this. I thought I was all right just changing to the proper subdirectory and running the command.

I tried the AppImage command again with the ./ in front and --appimage-help returns "Unkown option"

I just finished installing and setting up TurboPrint. It has its own quirks. At first the TP daemon wouldn't run. Fiddled around until that got fixed and tried printing on a disk. The good news is it prints from the disk tray. The bad news is that the image registration is way, way off. I will poke with that more tomorrow.

-=Ken=-
          -=Ken=-
          "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
          DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Even then jlittle is right. You need to prefix the command with ./ which means "in the current directory. If the current directory isn't in the path then the target won't be found.
            Yes, that's what I do. I was just mentioning an easier way to find an errant package via the GUI Dolphin rather than the command line. I have a Downloads folder where all downloads are supposed to go but every once in a while, they go elsewhere. I just find the F4 command very convenient when I'm already in Dolphin.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
              Thanks for setting me straight - again. I searched for what that ./ was all about and no one could give a straight answer. Your explanation here was much better. unix System V had much less in the way of commands like this. I thought I was all right just changing to the proper subdirectory and running the command.

I tried the AppImage command again with the ./ in front and --appimage-help returns "Unkown option"

I just finished installing and setting up TurboPrint. It has its own quirks. At first the TP daemon wouldn't run. Fiddled around until that got fixed and tried printing on a disk. The good news is it prints from the disk tray. The bad news is that the image registration is way, way off. I will poke with that more tomorrow.

-=Ken=-
              Don't hesitate to get support from TuroPrint... you paid for it.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                Short response, to run something in Konsole put "./" in front of it:
                Code:
                ./kdenlive-18.04.1b-x86_64.AppImage --appimage-help
                Unless you've put your current directory in your $PATH, your shell won't find it, because it looks in the PATH, unless there's a slash in the command name, and . is the current directory.

Having the current directory to the PATH was once normal and default, but became frowned upon for the security risk; f.ex. a script called "ls" that does nefarious things (send your private keys to hackers, install a keylogger, start a fork bomb, delete your cat pictures), someone sees a directory, changes into it, and types ls. But with single-user, single-access machines I don't see the risk so add a blank entry or a . to my PATH in my startup scripts.
                That is best explanation I have read. I am acquainted with unix administration but that was back in "the good ol' days.' My goodness, how things have changed. Can't even run an application from the command prompt anymore without an 'escape sequence!'

-=Ken=-
                -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Don't hesitate to get support from TuroPrint... you paid for it.
                  Haven't paid for it yet. I have 30 days to check it out. I think the initial package is 34 dollars US.

UPDATE:
                  I installed TurboPrint and it co-exists along side of the existing CUPS + Gutenberg system. In the KDE Printers widget I show three printers. My original, the main TurboPrint printer for paper and a custom printer for CD/DVD. The capabilities of this driver are superior for photography and such but I wouldn't ordinarily need that. The print on CD/DVD function does work because I was able to create a CD template with an X in Calligra Words and and print properly to a CD. However, when I try that in gLabels it does print on the CD but it is 60 mm off in the vertical no matter all the tweaking I've tried for centering. This stuff just fights me every step of the way!

-=Ken=-
                  -=Ken=-

Comment

Continuing on ...

It is the third day of my 30 day trial of TurboPrint. It does print on CD/DVDs but I still can't get the vertical registration working right. It prints 30mm too high, or too low, depending upon how you view it. Neither the vertical adjustments in gLabels nor the adjustments in TurboPrint move the print area at all! Very frustrating. I have posted a topic in the TurboPrint Forum and I am getting help from the guru there.

http://www.turboprint.info/support/v...php?f=4&t=6850

I sacrificed a printable CD for this effort but I discovered from reading that forum that you can turn the disc upside down and print on the back side where the ink will simply wipe off with a tissue. Nice trick.

-=Ken=-
                    Last edited by kenj70; Jun 19, 2018, 10:18 PM.
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

Continuing on ...

OK, I finally got TurboPrint to work! I went back to the Canon template supplied by gLabels and the registration on the disks is just about perfect. I went through gLabels template designer and used all the values from their supplied template and they worked identical. I was using my own template values because I was convinced the supplied template would not work. Discovering that only took me three days!

Just for the record here is the gLabels template for various Canon flavors using the "J" Tray:

Code:
                      <?xml version="1.0"?>

<Glabels-templates>

<!-- =================================================================== -->
                       <!-- Type J CD/DVD Tray. -->
                       <!-- =================================================================== -->
                       <Template brand="Canon" part="Type J Tray" size="Other" width="135mm" height="295mm" _description="CD/DVD Tray">
                         <Label-cd id="0" radius="59mm" hole="11mm" waste="2mm">
                           <Markup-margin size="3.175mm"/>
                           <Layout nx="1" ny="1" x0="5.6mm" y0="58.5mm" dx="122mm" dy="122mm"/>
                         </Label-cd>
                       </Template>

<Template brand="Canon" part="MX920 CD Tray"  equiv="Type J Tray"/>
                       <Template brand="Canon" part="MG5400 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
                       <Template brand="Canon" part="MG6300 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
                       <Template brand="Canon" part="MG6500 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>
                       <Template brand="Canon" part="iP7200 CD Tray" equiv="Type J Tray"/>

</Glabels-templates>
                      All I have to do now is finish up the topic on the TurboPrint forum and I am done. I certainly hope this topic helps someone. Topic is now solved!

-=Ken=-
                      -=Ken=-

Comment

Feels good, doesn't it!

Comment

My goodness, yes! Your Snoopy dance is appropriate.

-=Ken=-

Edit: will we EVER know why the CUPS driver won't work?
                          -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
                          X