Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need App or Util to Print Directly onto Printable Optical Media using Inkjet Printer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need App or Util to Print Directly onto Printable Optical Media using Inkjet Printer

Apparently there isn't much need for this type of application or utility, but I really need to figure out how to print to CDs, and DVDs (printable type). I just bought a Canon PIXMA MX922 because it can print to optical media and comes with a media tray.

I read that there's a way to do this using GIMP and some plug-ins. Can anyone direct me to that process or link to an article please? Under Windoze, the Canon software is not impressive. I'd really like to get a native Kubuntu solution. Please advise.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

A while back I was trying to use gLabels to print on DVDs on my MX922. I was able to install version 3.2.1 and it supports the MX922 but so far, when I send a print job, the MX922 comes to attention (or whatever you might call it) and then after a brief pause goes back to its default state, not printing.

Regarding gimp, I have these links in my browser bookmarks, if it's any help:

http://www.shallowsky.com/software/cdplugins/

https://ubuntufs.wordpress.com/2006/06/09/51/

-=Ken=-
    Last edited by kenj70; May 27, 2018, 11:01 PM.
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I do not have glables on this machine but I do think that there is a 'print to cd" option in printing when you are using the cd label template.
      woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Are they getting stuck in the print queue?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Until the OP gets back here I guess we could pursue the glabels issue. The latest 3.2.1 version of glabels has a print directly to disk option and templates for various media sizes including the large/small hub portion. On my system sending a glabels print direct to disk job shows up in the print cue and shows progress just like printing on paper. In addition the printer "wakes up" and reacts as though it is going to print but never moves the CD/DVD tray. Then, a moment later, the print queue reports empty as though it was successful handing off the print job.

The system is kind of convoluted because you have to open Configure Printer/Printer Options, stretch out the options panel because it always opens truncated, and set Media Size, Media Type and Media Source appropriately, then Apply, then OK. NOTE: At least on my system these new options don't always "take" and I may have to reset them several times before they do! Then, setting them back to printing on paper is also a pain in the posterior until they return to normal. Why? Dunno.

Then..., in the glabels Print dialog you have to go to Page Setup and set Paper type and Paper source again! Clicking on Print will send the job through the print queue, the printer screen lights up with "Processing..., Please wait momentarily." And very quickly the message disappears, just as though it has accomplished the print job. Crazy.

Just now I am trying to reset the printer options to plain paper and after six tries I am exasperated. Seems a little buggy to me.

-=Ken=-

Edit: Back at it. I've tried going into the printer configuration multiple ways but now I cannot get the configuration set back for printing on paper. #!$@%&%()*_(((
          Last edited by kenj70; May 29, 2018, 07:48 PM.
          -=Ken=-

Comment

kenj70

NICE reply. awaiting any other info!!

and...this is an absolutely wonderful sentence! I hope that you won't mind if other people "steal" it!!

stretch out the options panel because it always opens truncated
            woody
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Too bad the OP hasn't gotten back here. Meanwhile ...

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              and...this is an absolutely wonderful sentence! I hope that you won't mind if other people "steal" it!!
              woody
              Hey woody, that ain't the worst of it. I still CAN'T get my printer configuration to go back to printing normally on paper! Not only does the dialog box not retain my preferred dimensions but changing the options still does not "take." What's up with that? Now I'm stuck, not able to print normally.

-=Ken=-

Edit: My workaround - I make the changes in Printer Options then Apply. Then, keeping Printer Options open I can print to paper. If I close Printer Options it reverts to the CD configuration.

Edit2: I uninstalled gLabels 3.2.1 and installed the very latest version 3.4.0 via Flatpak. Same results: MX922 does not print on my DVD and the Printer Options will not permanently change back to paper.
              Last edited by kenj70; May 31, 2018, 02:58 PM.
              -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                Too bad the OP hasn't gotten back here. Meanwhile ...

Hey woody, that ain't the worst of it. I still CAN'T get my printer configuration to go back to printing normally on paper! Not only does the dialog box not retain my preferred dimensions but changing the options still does not "take." What's up with that? Now I'm stuck, not able to print normally.

-=Ken=-

Edit: My workaround - I make the changes in Printer Options then Apply. Then, keeping Printer Options open I can print to paper. If I close Printer Options it reverts to the CD configuration.

Edit2: I uninstalled gLabels 3.2.1 and installed the very latest version 3.4.0 via Flatpak. Same results: MX922 does not print on my DVD and the Printer Options will not permanently change back to paper.
                Are your printer config files set to read only, which would revert any changes when you closed the file?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Are your printer config files set to read only, which would revert any changes when you closed the file?
                  Interesting question. Why would my printer configuration files ever be set to read only? And where would they be to check on them?

-=Ken=-

Edit: through search I found the CLI utility 'system-config-printer' which brings up a GUI window named Printers-localhost. It looks just like the one I used to use in Linux Mint. I changed the configuration and it 'took.' Huh!
                  Last edited by kenj70; May 31, 2018, 05:56 PM.
                  -=Ken=-

Comment

Code:
                    :~$ vdir /etc/cups
                    total 60
                    -rw------- 1 root lp     108 May  3 23:15 classes.conf
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15303 Aug 22  2016 cups-browsed.conf
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4630 May  3 05:31 cupsd.conf
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2931 Feb 19 11:51 cups-files.conf
                    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 Feb 19 11:51 interfaces
                    drwxr-xr-x 1 root lp     148 May  7 19:02 ppd
                    -rw------- 1 root lp     645 May  7 19:03 printers.conf
                    -rw------- 1 root lp     645 May  3 23:48 printers.conf.O
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   240 May  3 05:32 raw.convs
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   211 May  3 05:32 raw.types
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   142 Feb 19 11:51 snmp.conf
                    drwx------ 1 root lp      40 May  3 05:31 ssl
                    -rw-r----- 1 root lp     674 May 31 18:13 subscriptions.conf
                    -rw-r----- 1 root lp     674 May 31 17:15 subscriptions.conf.O

Comment

I don't remember 'vdir' from my unix days. I used 'ls -l' which looks about the same. My listing looks the same as yours. Is 'vdir' an alias for 'ls -l'

I wonder why the KDE Neon Printer Options does not work? And 'system-config-printer' does?

I created Bugzilla bug report #394908. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394908

Then I created a menu application link for 'system-config-printer.' It was already installed on my system.

I also learned a little about cups along the way.

So, I can get by swimmingly for now.

Can anybody ring up our OP here? I don't see an email address for him. When/if he comes back this topic might surprise him. Even if I still can't print to disk.

-=Ken=-
                      Last edited by kenj70; May 31, 2018, 07:02 PM.
                      -=Ken=-

Comment

Hello, the OP is back. Unfortunately I just installed glabels 3.0.1. I don't see any updates to 3.4.1. Anyway, the only templates I see are for labels with 2 disks per page. I suppose I can try one of those and see what happens.
                        "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                          I don't remember 'vdir' from my unix days. I used 'ls -l' which looks about the same. My listing looks the same as yours. Is 'vdir' an alias for 'ls -l'
                          man vdir

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
                            Hello, the OP is back. Unfortunately I just installed glabels 3.0.1. I don't see any updates to 3.4.1. Anyway, the only templates I see are for labels with 2 disks per page. I suppose I can try one of those and see what happens.
                            Welcome back! See what you started?

My Discover Software Center now has the Flatpak version 3.4.0 which appears to be improved. See if you can get Flatpak support and use the latest version. It would be great to troubleshoot this problem together. Linux needs a direct to disk media printer application. Incidentally, are you able to scan from Linux on your MX922?

-=Ken=-
                            -=Ken=-

Comment

@mhumm2, I hope you are up for this. I think the version of gLabels you have will work but I hope you check out that Flatpak version. I have created a procedure for testing disk printing.

1. Select File/New
                              2. Select Search all
                              3. Select Brand: Canon, Page size: Any, Category: Any
                              4. Select Canon MX920 CD Tray: CD/DVD Tray
                              5. Click on Next
                              6. Click on Apply

You should now see a CD/DVD template.

7. Use the Text tool to put some text on your test media
                              8. Select Print and in the Print dialog click on Properties
                              9. Make sure Page size: CD - 5 inch; then click OK
                              10. In the Print dialog click Print. You may want the Print queue open to watch the processing.

Note: In the Canon MX922 manual it gives this procedure for disc printing. (I abridged here because I think I could have written it better)

1. Open the output tray
                              2. Print from your application
                              3. Wait until the message asking you to load the printable disc appears (this never happens for me)
                              4. Then open the inner cover (illustrated as B) and push it down all the way to the bottom.
                              5. Place the media in the disk tray
                              6. Place the disk tray on the inner cover inserting it straight in until the arrow on the inner cover is 'almost' aligned with the arrow on the disc tray.

-=Ken=-

Edit: this works from my wife's Windows 7 machine.
                              Edit2: posted github issue https://github.com/jimevins/glabels/issues/41
                              Last edited by kenj70; Jun 03, 2018, 05:24 PM.
                              -=Ken=-

Comment

Working...
                              X