Can't change desktop resolution on Kubuntu 23.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Can't change desktop resolution on Kubuntu 23.10

I figure this issue is just par for the course, I shouldn't be running 23.10 yet, but I upgraded so that I could play Starfield, which now works.

My issue is, if I just let my system boot normally, the login screen resolution is out of range for my display. If I just trust that it's there, and enter my password to the blank screen, the login chime music plays, so I know my system is up and running, but I cannot get an image on my display.
    If I reboot my system, and go into GRUB, there is only the one kernel there (6.5-5 I think?) plus its recovery mode, and if I just choose the one kernel (note: not the recovery), then I can successfully get to the login screen, I can log in, and I can see my desktop just fine. Weird!

However, once I am logged into my desktop, it acts a little weird. I cannot change my desktop resolution. It's stuck at 1920x1080 at 77Hz. It should be 60 or 120. See image. There are no drop-down menus for resolution or refresh rate, and if I hover my mouse over the (i) for resolution, it gives me a popup that says something to the effect of, "although unsupported resolutions may have worked in X11, they won't work in Wayland." The thing is though, I'm in X11, not Wayland. I checked. If I run "echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE" the output is "X11."

If I run xrandr commands, I get an error of "xrandr: failed to get size of gamma for output"

I'm also getting terrible screen tearing when streaming video. AMD GPU. Compositing is on, and I'm not allowing apps to block it. Is there anything I can do besides wait for the official release of 23.10?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230921_110415.png Views:	24 Size:	147.5 KB ID:	674111
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 23, 2023, 09:45 AM.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

I doubt anyone was waiting with baited breath to find out how I solved this, but all signs appear to be that it was just a bad upgrade from 23.04.

I reinstalled my kernel, Mesa, kubuntu-desktop, and just about any package you can think of, numerous times, to no avail. I tried upgrading kernels, manually installing the GPU driver from AMD's website, you name it. Nothing worked.

I downloaded a Kubuntu fresh build of 23.10, made a USB installer, backed up my /home to another drive, and booted the live environment. As expected, the ability to just boot straight in, plus be able to set the correct desktop resolution just worked out of the box.

I decided I'd rather have a working computer than conquer the problem in the terminal, and it never hurts to do a little house cleaning, so I nuked & paved. 23.10 is working great.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Working...
    X