Hate that Updates then no connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Hate that Updates then no connection

This is "Solved -- MAYBE!" yet to be seen ...

22.04, look at the system tray, see there has been an update and a call to re-boot, I re-boot, everything goes nicely and quickly, back to the desktop, and ... no darned Internet connection, "can't find IP address, can't configure whatevers" ...

Today, I did as I always do to fix it: unplug Ethernet cable between modem and PC, wait 15 seconds, plug it back in. That worked. Sometimes, I have had to re-boot the modem to get things back up. This has happened around 3-5 times with 22.04, not very often obviously, but alarming and annoying.

Rant # 23
    Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 29, 2023, 04:28 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Never had this problem with Ethernet - only with external USB-WiFi sticks after kernel firmware updates…
    After the reboot then I sometimes have to unplug the USB-WiFi stick, wait 5-10 seconds, plug the stick in again - network connection established. Has worked this way for years (at my other half's flat). It does not happen if you shut the computer off and on again instead of restarting.

I don't know if I would even call this a "bug" in my case - but with Ethernet…?
    Can you tell if specific packages have been installed/updated every time when this happens?
    And this happens only after updating something, not after every (re)boot?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 25, 2023, 09:16 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Happens only after updates
      Today, the update took place automagically, overnight. I only noticed it upon waking up this morning.
      I have not specifically looked for the packages updated, but I will in the future. In fact, I can check Muon's history now and see.
      It's only an annoyance (after that first panic stab subsides).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Just checked 7/25/23: This was a kernel upgrade, except for one package: openssh-client.
        And the kernel update was listed as 'automatic.'

Comment

You do have package dkms installed?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There is absolutely no dkms installed on my PC (I checked all the versions on Muon's list).
            What does it do?

Comment

dkms - Dynamic Kernel Module Support (DKMS)​
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Your driver for your ethernet card likely doesn't need a kernel module rebuilt with every kernel update, as Nvidia and other things may need.
                (the only reason I have DKMS on my system is from OpenRGB needing some external drivers for the blinkenlites )
                Your network card probably has a default device driver built in to the kernel.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                Sometimes, I have had to re-boot the modem
                This seems important, at least providing extra places to investigate

A basic question: what Ethernet card do you have? Maybe it is a known thing?
                KInfoCenter can tell you, or lspci -v | grep net

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230725_191814-1.png Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	672798

Last edited by claydoh; Jul 25, 2023, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Code:
                  03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
                  Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.  RTL8125  2.5 GbE Controller

Comment

Possibly you have to install an extra package for this 2.5 GbE controller: r8125-dkms (and dkms and if not already installed for the kernels you use: linux-headers-XXX).

Package: r8125-dkms […]
                    Description: dkms source for the r8125 network driver
                    r8125 is the Linux 2.5G Ethernet device driver released by RealTek for their
                    network controller.
                    This package provides the dkms source code for the r8125 kernel modules.
                    Kernel source or headers are required to compile these modules.​
                    Also see: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=257114 .
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 10:15 AM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I will look at this later when I return (from something). Thanks.

Comment

I read some of the stuff at Arch and links.
                        If there is a kernel upgrade, shouldn't modules be updated automatically?
                        Or, upon a re-boot?

A note on that:
                        After a kernel upgrade, I do NOT always lose Internet connection. Only sometimes. But I'm not sure when.
                        Maybe it occurs with major kernel upgrades, and in that case, I think Discover notifies that a re-boot is necessary.

I don't want to monkey around and get it too complicated, or end up with something broken, or end up building my own kernels & modules 😲

So, I had:

Code:
                        lspci -v | grep net
                        03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
                        When I do lsmod, r8125 is not listed. modinfo r8125 returns 'not found.'
                        Code:
                        modinfo r8125
                        modinfo: ERROR: Module r8125 not found.
                        But r8169 is listed when I run lsmod.
                        And then, re r8169:

Code:
                        modinfo r8169
                        filename: /lib/modules/5.15.0-78-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/r8169.ko
                        Kind of confusing! Looks like the r8169 is running the RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05).

Comment

lspci -v should also show which kernel driver/module your Ethernet controller is currently using.
                          Do you even get the full 2.5 with the r8169 driver/module?

And as claydoh pointed out: there could also be your modem to look into…
                          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Oh, yes, I didn't catch that, current module in use is r8169:
                            Code:
                            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
                            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
                            I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
                            Memory at a0c00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
                            Memory at a0c10000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
                            Capabilities: <access denied>
                            Kernel driver in use: r8169]
                            Kernel modules: r8169
                            Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 26, 2023, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Do you even get the full 2.5 with the r8169 driver/module?
                              How do I know?

Comment

Working...
                              X