Messed up big time, but ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messed up big time, but ...

... I fixed it and don't know why my "fix" didn't work.
    Long story ... got too much on my mind ... plugged in a 32 GB flash drive to reformat it as Fat32 ... wasn't focusing on my GParted ... DELETED MY EFI PARTITION on my main /dev/sda!!! WTH!

I tried to fix it:
    Made a new EFI partition with boot efi flag (in that same unallocated space from my screw-up).
    Did sudo grub-install (after mounting the EFI at /boot/efi).
    Backed up my /home and bookmarks and T-Bird profile, etc.
    Re-booted to an black screen 'emergency' notice with some options.
    Didn't have any luck with the options offered (probably b/c I didn't really try to make anything work).

Re-booted to my Kubuntu live flash drive installer and re-installed the operating system.

Don't know why the grub-install didn't do the trick. I did, though, flash my PC's BIOS with an updated BIOS/UEFI file a couple weeks ago.
    I did look into my /boot/efi and everything looked ok -- it was all there, all the /ubuntu/ boot files.

What a strange ending to an already hectic day.

(... and THEN ... I messed up my panel and taskbar ... which 'we' fixed in another thread just now ...)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Well, one could say that's what you get for live'n in the badlands.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• Qqmike
      Qqmike commented
      Editing a comment
      Boy, I'm gonna have more empathy for users who post similar bizarre acts of liberty!

If you accidentally deleted and reformated your EFI partition ("/boot/efi") its UUID has changed!
    You will have to enter the UUID of the newly formated EFI in the line with "/boot/efi" in your /etc/fstab accordingly…

PS: You can get the UUIDs with lsblk -f -e7.

PPS: And just switch off the computer for a while, have a glas of wine and listen to some badlands-music before switching it on again today, perhaps…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 02, 2023, 09:37 PM. Reason: added PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

• jlittle
      jlittle commented
      Editing a comment
      I hate UUIDs, I avoid them where possible.

Darn. And somehow from that black 'emergency' screen, I probably could have gotten a console and did that. Would have been easy after doing sudo grub-install while in the OS. Thanks.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@ S-K, the glass of wine would certainly help in these situations. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        have a glas of wine and listen to some badlands-music
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ-gTdR3oTQ
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This certainly could make somebody smile…
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

First thing I thought of when I screwed up was a hobby interest I am working on: Korean grammar. When I use the word "Korean," you may think "Mathematics" (which I have a post-Master's in).
            Korean grammar is mathematics in-drag. It is that difficult, a 'Level 4' language, 7-8 yrs in learning to be professionally fluent (according to US State Dept/Foreign Service).
            I had been studying profusely with ChatGPT, really making great progress, and collecting a ton of material I copied (into Libre Writer) to study and review.
            Fortunately, I make on-the-fly back-ups (to flash drives). Didn't lose a single verb conjugation!

I was on a first beer when I DELETED MY EFI, wth ...

Comment

Been there. I once started a recursive Delete on a backup disk for some specific sub-directory set, hit the Go button, and got distracted with some sports on TV. Some minutes later, the blasted delete was still running and half my Kubuntu was GONE!! I learned from that moment on to ALWAYS reference the fully qualified path starting with "~", and not just some specific directory name. $PATH told the Delete to start from the beginning and most definitely not from the beginning of the directory that was on the mount point of the backup drive
              Last edited by jglen490; Jul 31, 2023, 06:49 PM.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

half my Kubuntu was GONE!!
                Ha! I can just imagine your dismay. I read posts from users who do such things and wonder to myself, How the H&^l can THAT happen? Now I know!

Comment

Working...
                X