Best Kubuntu for machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Kubuntu for machines

So a year ago I retired this windoze PC.

I was wondering what version of Kubuntu word work best ?

I believe the plan is to donate once windoze is wiped.

I attached photo

Attached Files

22.04 LTS, mainly for 'support' purposes.
    It may only have 2 cores but that should be OK, and so is the ram tbh. LTS is good so that anyone who has it doesn't stop getting updates all of a sudden, and 22.04 should run fine on it.
    I would test it though, to see how bad firefox is in startup on this system. I sorta forgot about Snaps.

It is going to run a bit lot pokey no matter which version, particularly with a spinny HDD from that era, and the initial startup for Firefox might be atrocious.

So.....maybe going backward and sticking to 20.04 LTS is safer, until the user decides to upgrade it.......
    Sounds like some testing is going to be necessary

I have a 2013 i3 4000-something HP laptop my niece gave to me, and I have been trying to use it. Similar-ish specs, though my brother did upgrade her ram, but that 500gb HDD is horridly slow. Awful. Painful. Yucky.
    I just this afternoon pulled out that drive and swapped in a 6 year old 60Gb SATA ssd.
    No, I am not missing any zeros there, lol.
    MUCH better. Unfortunately, this giant behemoth only has provisions for one drive. Fortunately it is only being used for light web based work. I was thinking of turning it into a Chromebook. May still do that.
    It of course is running KDE neon, since it is more minimal etc, and Chrome (for work)

So, if you happen to have an ssd sitting around, it might be worth slapping it in that puppy

No matter what, I'd guess it should run better than Win 8, even with FF as a snap.

Comment

Kubuntu 20.04 and 22.04 should both run OK (but be sure to sudo apt purge snapd* in Kubuntu 22.04 and replace Firefox with the binary from Mozilla or install it by PPA - or to use Brave browser binary instead, e.g.).

See: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-without-snapd
      and/or
      https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox#From_Mozilla_binaries

I am convinced you should avoid snaps and if possible also Flatpaks on older computers.

I run both Kubuntu 20.04 and 22.04 on one of my computers that is 15 years old with 4 GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD (without snaps and Flatpaks).

1. Replacing the HDD with an SSD (highest subjective impact)
      and
      2. probably expanding the memory to 6 or 8 GB
      in the future would be most beneficial for your machine, if you wish to keep it around for some more years.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 18, 2022, 06:28 PM. Reason: typos, added links
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I have a system similar to that. A Gateway NV53. A little older. Point being is I recently installed KDE Neon on it, the current version. Runs well. A little slow but all runs well. So, Kubuntu 22.04 should run just as well on yours.

Comment

Thanks for the information. It does have 8g ram. That 10/100 could not handle my nighthawk 1gb throughput on win 8

Comment

Let us know how you make out with 22.04 it should work fine on that hardware.
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

so better late than never the Kubuntu 22 workings good ;-)

Preinstall :
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231211_061203695.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	675680

Post install ;-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20231211_074925429.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.0 KB ID:	675681

Comment

I'm running Kubuntu 23.10 on my HP pavilion. No problems that removing SNAP didn't address. You might test by burning a live USB flash drive with 24.04 or 23.11. I've not tested with Neon, so you're on your own there.

Sorry if this a necro-post, but the topic is still current.

TWP
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  Sorry if this a necro-post, but the topic is still current.
                  Can't be "necro" given that the OP posted an update today.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed 22.04.2 looking good 😊

Comment

Working...
                    X