This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using virtual machines

So far I have tried three virtual machine managers--Virtual Box by Oracle, Virtual Machine Manager, and Gnome 3 Boxes, with different results. Here is what I've found so far.
    ..Virtual Box. Works with most Linux distros. The only problem I have had so far is the lack of a full screen presentation. Linux Mint, Peppermint, Neon user, and other minor distros have worked well. But distros like Fedora and Manjaro install the OS's well but the passwords don't work. Currently I have Neon user installed and it works fine.
    --VMM. So far this has been hit or miss. Linux Mint, Peppermint, and other Ubuntu-based distros have loaded correctly, but Manjaro stalls when I try to install it. Fedora doesn't recognize the password.

Currently I have Kubuntu 17.10 installed, and it works fine.
    --Gnome 3 Boxes: I tried to install Linux Mint and Manjaro, but Boxes wouldn't do it. However, it did install Fedora, but like Manjaro in other Virtual Machine managers, it wouldn't accept the passwords.

My main question is why the virtual machine managers don't accept Manjaro and Fedora passwords. I have tried various combinations with Manjaro to get it to accept my passwords, but no go. I don't know why Boxes refuses to try Manjaro and Fedora. Boxes is the easiest to run but 2 out of 3 rejections gives me very little confidence. What experiences have other users had?

When using VirtualBox (Oracle's at least), you need to, after installing the OS, logout/shutdown the VM and then add to the VBoxGuestAdditions .iso version matched to the VirtualBox Manager version, to the VM's IDE Controller and then relaunch the VM. Once on the Desktop, you need to access the VBoxGuestAdditions folder (Dolphin) and open a konsole to the folder. In the konsole type: sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run and press Enter.

BUT, you must have allocated sufficient Video Memory to the VM in order to run the VM 'full screen'.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

With Virtual Box I've never had to do anything but install the guest OS on the virtual hard disk (20 gb) and run it. What I can't figure out is why Manjaro and Fedora don't recognize the passwords I set when installing them on Virtual Box (or Fedora on VMM). They work all right on the Live version.

Comment

Can the input method (keyboard layout) be the problem ?
        I have this sometimes, in Belgium we use the azerty layout, and some distro's expect qwerty input in the password field.
        Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
        linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
        A good place to start:
        Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

I have Windows 7, Manjaro, MX-16, ElementaryOS and Ubuntu Mate, installed within VirtualBox. I recently tried Debian. I d/l it first via a torrent and it would not except my password. I checked the sums and it failed. I d/l it again from the Debian webpage and it accepted my password. BUT, I could never get it to expand to fill the screen. The only other distro that I couldn't get to expand with Guest Additions was Fedora. YMMV.
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
          X