X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech C270 webcam works out of box

It works with all of the webcam apps.

HERE is a review at Amazon. And, after the initial playing around by the apps, the apps then remember the cam and when you click it it will almost immediatly open.

VLC, on my machine, has a distinct lag between the action and what displays.

Cheese does not "light up" the camera indicator light, it does automatically find it but it takes a while and, for me, only when I maximize the app.

Guvcview pops faster and offers a variety of controls and "lights up" the indicator light.

Kamoso takes a few seconds to pop and does light up the indicator light.

Webcamoid does not light up the indicator light opens quickly and presents the controls quickly and logically.

But... this then lead to a curious thing that I noticed.

I, personally, have NEVER been "completely" happy with "the way" that KDE puts information into the system settings module.

Now this is not just a thing with KDE, it was a major point of a distro for which I was a developer years ago. One of the big selling points was that ALL of the information about your system would be in a "system settings" module. But anyway...

Just for grins and giggles I went to system settings to see what it said about the camera...and there was NOTHING...

Kinfo center in the usb module offers: "Webcam C270"

Soooo ok...

The complaint then is... why is not this just included in the system settings module...maybe just a button that puts one in the Kinfocenter module...just sayin...

Ok so lets go to the web cam apps...nope...

None of the apps except Webcamoid offered a "name" for the camera and it called it a "uvc" camera.

So, this is not a big deal but is probably just a situation of the developers thinking... "99.999 % of people will never look for this information"...except...

lol, it is not on the camera itself! lol

It says in about...7 point text in a very dark ink on black plastic..."720dp" but not the name of the camera.

I'm sure that it was "in the paperwork" but...I purchased it used from my local computer boutique for $15 usd instead of the $19 usd on Amazon! lol

Anyway...cut to the chase is that the device works with all of the apps for moi.

woodhaswaaytoomuchtimeonhishandssmokelol
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 05, 2017, 06:01 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I've always had good fortune with Logitech C series webcams. I keep a C340 in my computer desk for emergencies.

EDIT: I hadn't looked at it in years so I rummaged through my parts drawer and found it. My memory failed me, as usual. It is a C270. Same as yours, woodsmoke!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 05, 2017, 02:11 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

lol
      I've still got the old white ball cam from what... a decade ago!? lol

woodlikeshardwaresmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke,

Did you know, you can do VOIP without installing anything in Kubuntu, (Skype) using Firefox, works wellClick image for larger version

Name:	talky.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	643569.
        I use it all the time using a Logitech C270 webcam.
        Group video chat, Add over 15 people to the conversation.
        Screen sharing, Add anyone’s screen to the conversation.

Security and encryption.
        The short story is that for one-to-one conversations your audio and video data are encrypted between your computer and your friend’s computer, so that your conversations can’t be unscrambled by eavesdroppers. We also encrypt all the set up, call control, and tear down information that your computer sends to our servers (which can reveal private information such as the “IP address” of your computer).
        Go here, to give it a try
        https://talky.io/

Comment

Hi!

thanks very much for the linky!

I'll try it.

woodlikestotrynewthingssmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

That REALLY IS JUST DEAD SIMPLE!!!

i'm going to discuss it with the administration for my class which only has one lecture this fall. ( it is blended online and one lecture)

thankee!

woodappreciativesmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Simple indeed!
              Now I need to find someone to "talky.io" to!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Since we all need a little more levity in our lives, ,ight I recommend:

http://svengoolie.com/

woodthinksthatinaschlockywaythemanisactuallyrather talentedsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

After trying out all of the software multiple times I have been gravitating to guvcview or GTK UVC video viewer as it is named in the menu.

woodmaychangesmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

lol...well...finally ONE of the multitudes of colleges which TRUMPET that they "have worldwide faculty" and really have tokens has contacted and recontacted me with a further request for information and has now contacted me to produce a "video lesson" for submission.

MY college has "Camtasia" for the profs who do not use it anywhere near it's full extent, basically they grudgingly do one video from their poorly lit office.

I will be making the video at home but not using any kind of "Camtasia", although I could, apparently, install it and run it under WINE.

I will be using

a) the Logitech C270 webcam
                    b) GTK UV Video Viewer ( guvcview) to record me being a talking head sitting in front of two book cases and at approximately 4 foot distance ( to TRY to minimize "the bags under my eyes" lol ). The captured video will be in a window which is about 4 inches wide by 3 inches high on left side of a wide screen monitor.
                    c) Gwenview to show a still image on the right side of the screen
                    d) VLC to show three videos, one at a time, on the right side of the screen.
                    e) Simple Screen Recorder to record the whole screen.

On the left of the screen will be the Latte Dock.
                    On the top fourth of the screen and covering approximately one fourth of the screen will be a "folder view" with the videos and image shown as thumbnails (ffmpeg) .

The system will be controlled by using the Gyration "airmouse" while sitting somewhat diagonally from the camera in an antique family chair.

Behind me will be an empty section of "sand / cream" colored wall and two "video book cases" on either side. Above the one on the left will be a "faux" London clock and on the right will be a Peacock Japanese print on bamboo strips.

Lighting is the only thing left to really work out, but at this point it will be a "long" " parchment " fish tank bulb in a horizontal reading lamp set at approximately chest height and the same distance as the camera and to the side of the camera.

I would really like to try to use a "bounce" parasol and a professional light but, oh well.

The college does NOT provide any kind of sample video but it EXPECTS a "presence" in the video. So... whatever "presence" means is open to interpretation. But, I figure that sitting diagonally in an antique chair at a distance without a desk between me and the camera an not "having my face in the laptop pinhole camera" will have to fill the bill about "having a presence".

I have been able to "glean" some small snippets of profs talking in advertisements on Youtube and they are either using a built in cam on a monitor, or one prof has a camera sitting approximately three feet away and is in full screen mode holding a model of Australopithecus skull and talking about it, with someone else doing the capture. He also is before a book case with some other skulls in it.

The closeup "in your face cams" are being controlled by the instructor.

The prof in the full screen definitely has "bags under his eyes" but also has had makeup applied. so... lol... don't think that I can compete with him!

The background on the desktop will be a very muted "sandy beach", nothing but sand, no horizon or water with the word "Linux", very muted, to the bottom right.

So, yes what I am doing is not "Camtasia" but given the circumstances I think that "Linux / Ubuntu / Kubuntu will probably fill the bill.

I'm sure that, if hired, that the college will have some kind of web interface through which I would work.

Hey...Kubuntu rocks!

woodsmoke
                    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 15, 2017, 08:55 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

And the award for Best Producer, Best Directory, Best Cinematography, Best Short Video Topic and Best Actor goes to ...*drum roll* .... and we lost the connection....

Comment

lol
                        well maybe "best boy" who brings coffee to everybody! lol

But, the point being that Kubuntu is more than stepping up to the plate here.

woodbestboysmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                        X