This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Logitech M560 can be made to work

I posted here about a brain-damaged Logitech mouse, the M560, which has a weird stateful button that simulates key presses for Windows 8, and X doesn't see it as a mouse button at all. (I went to update that thread from 2014, but it is closed now, so I'm reporting a follow-up in a new post.)

My cheap mouse's left button has been acting up, the click becoming unreliable, so I pulled out the M560. I used to use this with xmodmap to map wheel-tilt-right, button 7, to button 2 for a middle click. But this didn't work now, and neither did xinput, a more sophisticated mechanism (xinput --list to find the exact device name, then xinput --set-button-map "Logitech Wireless Mouse M560" 1 7 3 4 5 6 2). Eventually I found that it was KDE that didn't work; GTK apps like firefox were fine. xev reports the mapped button, but konsole or kate, nothing. There was a bug reported for this in Qt 5 3 years ago, and fixed then, maybe there's a regression...

to google, how to coerce KDE to map a mouse button... and on the Arch wiki I found a reference to a driver project specifically for the M560 on github! kreijack/logitech-m560 Downloaded the source, make, fix an overzealous warning made into an error by some random linux header, sudo insmod and it works! The middle button's placement is odd, 5 mm behind the scroll wheel, but I'll get used to that.

I like the Logitech freely spinning mouse wheel, it's a bit like using a trackball.
    Regards, John Little
Working...
X