KRunner history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] KRunner history

How do I clear the history that KRunner keeps so that applications that are no longer on the system aren't presented when searching?

I had Firefox (.deb) on my 22.04 until this mornings updates, which brought in Firefox SNAP. The update removed the previous install of Firefox (.deb). So my system now only has Firefox as a SNAP application.

KRunner still presents two entries for Firefox. The first one is the SNAP and the second one is the previously used .deb one. I've already clicked on the Configure KRunner icon and clicked on the Clear History button in Plasma Search > KRunner history. That didn't stop both entries from showing when using KRunner to search on Firefox.

I then also unchecked Retain previous search and Activity aware (previous search and history) and that also didn't stop both entries from showing.

How does one clear KRunner history so the history is actually gone?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Is that the item that comes up on an ALT-F2? If so, once that appears, click on the GEAR to the left and the resulting Windows should have a button to Clear History.

Yep ALT-F2. Just saw that in the resulting screen. See below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_20220225_0002.png
Views:	313
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	660983

Comment

Oops, sorry, I see you did that. Now that has me stumped if it isn't clearing out.

Edit: Just did that here and it seemed to clear everything as far as I can tell.

Comment

OK, did a test. See below. That is where the History is kept.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_20220225_0003.png
Views:	336
Size:	497.7 KB
ID:	660986

Comment

Don't think that is true. This is what my krunnerrc file contains:

[General]
          ActivityAware=false
          RetainPriorSearch=false

[PlasmaRunnerManager]
          migrated=true
          Nothing else, yet when I launch KRunner and start to search on Firefox, it lists two entries. One for the SNAP Firefox and the other for the now, no longer present on my system, .deb installed Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Don't think that is true. This is what my krunnerrc file contains:

Nothing else, yet when I launch KRunner and start to search on Firefox, it lists two entries. One for the SNAP Firefox and the other for the now, no longer present on my system, .deb installed Firefox.
            Are you sure it's coming from history?
            You don't have the old firefox in a .desktop link in ~/.local/share/applications/ , for example.

Comment

I'm sure it isn't coming from anywhere in /home/paul

There is nothing firefox-ish in .local/share/ or .local/share/applications

And just to be thorough, nothing firefox-ish in .config either.

On 2022-02-25, firefox (.deb install) was upgraded/replaced with the SNAP firefox (firefox:amd64 (97.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1, 1:1snap1-0ubuntu1). The non-SNAP installation of firefox was removed.

I have located a firefox.desktop file located in /usr/share/applications. It has a date of Feb 22. This file date, which is three days before the SNAP version of Firefox came in, must be the desktop file for the .deb installed version, yes?

Running locate firefox.desktop returns four matches:

/snap/firefox/1025/firefox.desktop
              /snap/firefox/1025/meta/gui/firefox.desktop
              /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
              /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/firefox_firefox.desktop
              Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 26, 2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I do know KRunner where list History and what it finds as installed and run-able. Why it would pull something that has been uninstalled would mean there is a leftover piece somewhere. Where? I don't know. That goes down to what is KRunner really looking at that point. Not sure.

Sorry, I know that does not help.

Comment

I searched for firefox in Muon Package Manager. It found two Installed matches:

firefox Transitional package - firefox -> firefox snap
                  firefox-locale-en Transitional package - firefox-locale-en -> firefox snap

Both are identified as:
                  This is a transitional dummy package. It can safely be removed.
                  Included in the Installed Files tab for firefox is: /usr/bin/firefox

Is that location where KRunner is finding the second entry?

I'm going to Purge both transitional packages and see.

Yup. That was it. With both transitional packages purged, /usr/bin/firefox is gone and KRunner only identify one instance for Firefox.

Comment

Now we know!

Comment

Working...
                    X