This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] X10 VA11A usb video adapter

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone have an X10 VA11A usb video adapter actually working? It seems to be recognized by the system, but all I get is a black screen. Tried reloading the gspca drivers with usbgrabber=1, still no luck. Days of searching has produced no solutions.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Use "modinfo gspca" to see if there are any other "parms" you can use to adjust the behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So far, no success. All I am getting is a black screen. Part of the problem may be that the driver is recognizing the VA11A as an Intel webcam, which it is not. modinfo is not giving any hint of options, and there doesn't seem to be any current info on getting it to work. Supposedly it is supported by gspca, but no hint as to how. Well, if someone actually has it working, I would be interested to find out how.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

What does modinfo spca5xx return?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A few pieces of data:

Code:
          greenman@Crynfyd17.04 ~$ lsusb
          Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
          Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b4:6560 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. CY7C65640 USB-2.0 "TetraHub"
          Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
          Bus 002 Device 004: ID 045e:0736 Microsoft Corp. Sidewinder X5 Mouse
          [B]Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0733:0430 ViewQuest Technologies, Inc. Intel Pro Share Webcam[/B]
          Bus 002 Device 003: ID 06a3:8020 Saitek PLC Eclipse Keyboard
          Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0955:000a NVidia Corp. 
          Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
          So the system sees it, albeit incorrectly.

Code:
          greenman@Crynfyd17.04 ~$ lsmod | grep gspca
          gspca_spca505          16384  0
          gspca_main             36864  1 gspca_spca505
          v4l2_common            16384  1 gspca_main
          videodev              172032  6 uvcvideo,v4l2_common,gspca_spca505,videobuf2_core,gspca_main,videobuf2_v4l2
          Code:
          greenman@Crynfyd17.04 ~$ modinfo gspca_spca505
          filename:       /lib/modules/4.10.0-21-generic/kernel/drivers/media/usb/gspca/gspca_spca505.ko
          license:        GPL
          description:    GSPCA/SPCA505 USB Camera Driver
          author:         Michel Xhaard <mxhaard@users.sourceforge.net>
          srcversion:     380AAA900541DB2B052B18C
          alias:          usb:v0733p0430d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
          alias:          usb:v041Ep401Dd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
          depends:        gspca_main,videodev
          intree:         Y
          vermagic:       4.10.0-21-generic SMP mod_unload

Comment

Okay. While this is 'old', it mayt still provide something useful.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Spca5xx

Comment

Yeah, that link is too old. Tried what I could from it, but the link to the source code is dead. It is currently in the kernel package itself.

Comment

What I was curious about is if modprobe spca5xx usbgrabber=1 would work?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  What I was curious about is if modprobe spca5xx usbgrabber=1 would work?
                  Yeah, I tried that. From dmesg:
                  Code:
                  [ 5348.336045] usbcore: deregistering interface driver spca505
                  [ 5366.551711] gspca_main: v2.14.0 registered
                  [B][ 5366.553279] gspca_spca505: unknown parameter 'usbgrabber' ignored[/B]
                  [ 5366.553355] gspca_main: spca505-2.14.0 probing 0733:0430
                  [ 5366.621148] usbcore: registered new interface driver spca505

Comment

Well, it was a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Well, it was a long shot.
                      Thanks. I've been banging away at this for a couple of weeks, nothing but headaches to show for it.

Comment

Aging hardware will, eventually, become 'unsupported' hardware.

Comment

That old article connected the mfg & product values with the Intel PC Camera Pro.
                          {USB_DEVICE(0x0733, 0x0430)}, /* Intel PC Camera Pro */
                          I don't give much hope for success.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            I don't give much hope for success.
                            I finally gave up. There just is no support for this, no indication that anyone has actually gotten it to work.

I resolved the issue by purchasing an EasyCap video-USB adapter on eBay, which also has audio support,
                            for a grand total of $11.00. Well supported, works perfectly. End of it.

Comment

I did the same thing with a cheap $7 USB sound stick to fix the sound of a laptop I was putting Kubuntu on so I could donate it to someone my age who doesn't have or can't afford a laptop. Worked great.

Comment

Working...
                              X