X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

That worked.

I should have thought of it myself. duh!

I've locked FF at 45.02.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    Change into the directory where the packages were saved to; should be Downloads. Then run the commands.
    Last edited by urdrwho5; May 01, 2016, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
      Firefox 46 looks OK on 16.04 using the breeze themes.
      I couldn't find any Firefox or GTK themes with breeze in the name. Would this be something new and not available on 14.04?

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
      I'm running 14.04. GTK3-theme was oxygen.gtk. Tooltips on Firefox 46 were completely black. Checkboxes on sites invisible. Etc. I tried several themes: all the same.
      I changed the GTK3-theme to Default, and now everything is visible. But the appearance - only in Firefox - looks like Windows 95. Really ugly.
      With the default theme the sites are looking good (except buttons). Only menus etc. are really ugly.
      I've tried Adwaita and Default and Uncomplicated gtk3 themes. They are all more consistent and issue-free compared to oxygen-gtk ... but uuugly. Not like Windows 95 ... like Gnome!

Is oxygen as a theme unpopular and unmaintained?
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        I'm very late to this thread. At first, thought it was just another thread on more whining over a FF update.
        What do you take me for?

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
          I couldn't find any Firefox or GTK themes with breeze in the name. Would this be something new and not available on 14.04?

Is oxygen as a theme unpopular and unmaintained?
          I may have answered both of these with further research. Breeze is the default theme for Plasma 5 and Oxygen is for KDE/Plasma 4 - right?

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
            I may have answered both of these with further research. Breeze is the default theme for Plasma 5 and Oxygen is for KDE/Plasma 4 - right?
            Breeze is the default with Plasma 5 and I think Oyxgen was the default previously.
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Now that I installed the DEB of 45.0.2 and have it running there is a problem. If I go to try and download a new KDE theme, I receive a message that it can't start firefox in the download directory.

Before installing FF I had unzipped a Bz2 file of and placed the uncompressed folder in downloads. I would just go there and run the executable to start FF. Then I did put an icon in the tray (show a launcher when not running). When I installed FF the correct way I deleted the FF folder in downloads.

FF starts fine from the application launcher but someplace it still think FF should be in the download folder. Any ideas?

Comment

Go to Settings -> System Settings -> Applications -> Web Browser and check what it's pointing to.
                If you're sitting wondering,
                Which Batman is the best,
                There's only one true answer my friend,
                It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Everyone has GTK+ 3.4 or higher on their systems?

Firefox — 46.0 System Requirements — Mozilla

Comment

Code:
                    Package: libgtk-3-0               
                    Version: 3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6

Comment

Package: libgtk-3-0 Version: 3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6
                      Same here (on K14.04).
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks.

Before looking at your answer I decided to create a new profile and then move existing extensions, etc. to it. Then I tried to get some new themes and it worked.

But your suggestion was also needed to set the browser app, HTTP / HTTPS association to Fire Fox. So your suggestion was needed to make everything correct.

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                        Go to Settings -> System Settings -> Applications -> Web Browser and check what it's pointing to.

Comment

Requiring 3.4 and above reminds me of what Microsoft might do to its apps. Such silliness is why I have frozen all updates to Thunderbird and Firefox.

Originally posted by WaltS48 View Post
                          Everyone has GTK+ 3.4 or higher on their systems?

Firefox — 46.0 System Requirements — Mozilla

Comment

The latest updates to Kubuntu 12.04 today revived Firefox. It no longer crashes when launched.

Code:
                            The following packages will be upgraded:
                              gtk3-engines-oxygen
                              libmms0
                              libpoppler-glib8
                              libpoppler-qt4-3
                              libpoppler19
                              libsmbclient
                              libssl1.0.0
                              libtasn1-3
                              libwbclient0
                              openssl
                              poppler-utils
                              samba-common
                              samba-common-bin
                              smbclient
                            14 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                            I noticed a couple strange visual effects.
                            1. Text disappears when I drag the cursor to highlight.
                            2. There is a black background behind the scroll bar.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's this one I wish they'd get fixed:

And the glitch that actually messes with usability - tooltips have black text on a nearly black background.
                              I hadn't realized how usefull--even important--that is, until it broke. Using K14.04 here.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@Qqmike, I've been reporting this since the Beta testing phase. It was fixed, then reappeared on the release.

I found that changing the theme did avoid the problem, but at the expense of a theme that I don't otherwise like (the default theme).

[edit] I cannot get FF to hold the theme, it reverts to the default (which shows the black on black title text for links)...
                                Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; May 05, 2016, 07:49 PM. Reason: behaviour change in FF
                                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
                                X