Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"alongside Windows" missing from the Kubuntu installer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] "alongside Windows" missing from the Kubuntu installer?

"alongside Windows" missing from the (live DVD/USB) Kubuntu installer?

What's up with this?

I've noticed some posts claiming that when you install Kubuntu (I've looked at two: 14.04, 15.04), at the Installation Type screen, there is no option to "install Kubuntu alongside Windows." I've checked it, and it does seem to be true.

Is this missing in all recent Kubuntu releases, or just 14.04 and 15.04 (doubtful)?

Isn't this a tough proposition for most people who have Windows installed but would like to try Kubuntu as a dual-boot with Windows?

If you think through the details, you can see how tricky this could be for people who must then select the "Manual" installation option -- and all the partitioning and technical issues that arise.

Personally, I always do my own partitioning and Manual installation of Kubuntu. But in doing so, I do realize the dozens of little details one takes for granted in pulling it off cleanly. Not something we should want our newcomers to have to mess with, is it?

Furthermore, I've known several competent computer folks who prefer to use the automatic "alongside" option when installing--they let the whole sha-bang fly, GRUB and all, with no problems.

Have you noticed this? does anyone care? is this not a potential show-stopper for newcomers?

Is there a secret command one uses to access a privileged special installation menu where ............. You know, like in Prohibition days when you had to give a password to get into a speakeasy ............
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

http://askubuntu.com/questions/69481...side-with-them

dunno if it is an installer bug, or something difficult to fix/work around.
    I notice many how-to's these days seem to show creating free space before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      "alongside Windows" missing from the (live DVD/USB) Kubuntu installer?

What's up with this?

I've noticed some posts claiming that when you install Kubuntu (I've looked at two: 14.04, 15.04), at the Installation Type screen, there is no option to "install Kubuntu alongside Windows." I've checked it, and it does seem to be true.

Is this missing in all recent Kubuntu releases, or just 14.04 and 15.04 (doubtful)?

Isn't this a tough proposition for most people who have Windows installed but would like to try Kubuntu as a dual-boot with Windows?

If you think through the details, you can see how tricky this could be for people who must then select the "Manual" installation option -- and all the partitioning and technical issues that arise.

Personally, I always do my own partitioning and Manual installation of Kubuntu. But in doing so, I do realize the dozens of little details one takes for granted in pulling it off cleanly. Not something we should want our newcomers to have to mess with, is it?

Furthermore, I've known several competent computer folks who prefer to use the automatic "alongside" option when installing--they let the whole sha-bang fly, GRUB and all, with no problems.

Have you noticed this? does anyone care? is this not a potential show-stopper for newcomers?

Is there a secret command one uses to access a privileged special installation menu where ............. You know, like in Prohibition days when you had to give a password to get into a speakeasy ............
      you know ,,,,,,,I have not noticed this ,,, why ,,,,because as soon as I get a box I fire up a gparted disk and wipe the drive or drives ,,,,,,,,partition as I wish then install with the manual option .
      Windows is never a part of the equation

BUT I do agree if it is missing , it kneads to be a high priority on the to do list !

it indeed would be a show stopper for newcomers ,,,, that know little of disk setup type things.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I don't mind messing with the PCs I build, I mess with them until they won't even boot, until I have to clear the CMOS to even get them to POST, no problem, I'm a boot-junkie. But I really hate messing with the wife's machine (ASUS Q510LA laptop w/Windows 8.1). But I did, and got some info here.

The only thing on the laptop is Windows 8.1, taking up all the space, set up by Windows like this:

100 MB EFI System Partition (ESP)
        900 MB Recovery Partition
        677 GB NTFS -- primary (called partition #4)
        20 GB Recovery Partition

I ran the Kubuntu 14.04 USB installer, got to the Installation Options screen, and see FIVE choices for partitioning:

Code:
         Guided - resize SCSI1(0,0,0) partition #4 (sda) and use freed space. <-- This is it!...kind of, almost
         Guided - use entire disk
         Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM
         Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted  LVM
         Manual
        So, obviously it is there as the first option: Guided - resize.

(Naturally, I hit QUIT and got the heck out & reset the firmware edits.)

So, why are people saying they don't have an "alongside" option? A bug? Or, do they see the "Guided - resize" option but don't know what it means? The installer examines the machine and the existing setup and looks for Windows, obviously (or looks for anything that might be there taking up ALL the space), and then gives you the option to "re-size" and use the freed up space. If you were to re-size, would a subsequent menu then offer you an "alongside" option? (I'm not going to use THAT laptop to answer these questions, but it would be easy to do, with slight risk of having to google all night to fix Windows boot or some such, god forbid to have to reset the laptop! fun if my machine, not so much fun on someone else's.)

A question might be this:
        Suppose you have Windows installed, but it does not take up all the space, then what? Would you see an explicit "install Kubuntu alongside..." Might depend on how much space is available.

Hmmm.

I'll mark this SOLVED, but I hope others chime in who have Windows pre-existing who then try to install Kubuntu.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When in doubt, read the official ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

which does suggest a side-by-side option (last edited June 2015, so recent enough). It also says other things I like, like do your partitioning before running the K(U)buntu installer DVD; automatic partitioning NOT recommended; be careful of Windows' special needs and sensitive personality--strongly advising real (CD) backup and recovery media for your Windows; and other things you can read there.

Like Vinny, this is irrelevant to me, always use GParted beforehand and Manual partitioning installation method. But why are people reporting they don't see an option to do a side-by-side or alongside or even a shrink and use freed-up? We'll have to keep an eye on this.

Still hoping someone chimes in with some actual experience, besides my little toy test last night.

Comment

When I bought my laptop, Lenovo Thinkpad 540p, last year it came with Windows 8 pre-installed. After upgrade to Win 8.1, I manually resized the hard drive using partition manager (live kubuntu 14.04) and installed Kubuntu 14.04. Neither resizing nor installation caused any problem.

Comment

@marco07, sounds like you do it like Vinny & I and others here--you go manual. The catch I'm wondering about is the "automatic" option, where you just specify to install Kubuntu side-by-side or alongside Windows. People say there is an option for that; some say there isn't.

Comment

Working...
              X