This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Guy and Getting Involved

Wasn't sure where this would fit in best so starting here.

Basics- I am new to Kubuntu, been using linux for 10+ years as a casual desktop user, mainly with GTK desktops. I moved to Kubuntu mainly due to Kontact and its carddav and caldav support. I see how most of the KDE apps IMHO are much more polished than what I have been used to. I really like it.

Getting to the Point - It's time I got my feet wet with more participation. I have looked at the Contribution pages and would like to lean on the dev,bug, packaging side of things. But lo and behold, I have no experience in any of those things, only ambition. So I am seeking a mentor/mentors so to speak to help point me in the right direction. What first programming language should I learn that would be most helpful in these pursuits? I need someone to point all my dumb questions to as I figure everything out.... unfortunately I am the type that needs a little hand holding in the beginning until I get rolling and into the swing of things. I know this is a lot to ask.

So if anyone is feeling brave and maybe willing to do some email or chat correspondence with me it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

Tim Apple

Jump into irc on freenode, and go to #kubuntu-devel. This is where the devs hang out. This is the best place to go. There are plenty of areas that can use a hand, and one does not need coding skills to pitch in 😄

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

The main language used for Linux is C++ but you should have known that if you have been using Linux for 10+ years also there is Python and for KDE / Plasma5 there's QT5.

By the way with a name like Apple are you sure your using the right system?

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu and the KubuntuForums, Tim!

If you've never coded before it may take you a year or two to come up to speed programming with C, C++, Bash, Python and another year for the QT API ... Unless you are a Vunderkind. Meanwhile, you can help writing documentation. Or, you install the *-dev libraries (for backtraces) and exercise the various apps looking for bugs and undocumented "features", etc. Or, you can always contribute $$$ to KDE, Kubuntu or this forum, which is user supported.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          By the way with a name like Apple are you sure your using the right system?
          If I possibly received any royalties from their use of my last name, then I may consider using their product.

Comment

Working...
          X