Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting upate notifications without muon-notifier?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Getting upate notifications without muon-notifier?

I got tired of muon-notifier starting muon-updater with a click (I prefer Synaptic -- mostly because it's what I'm used to, but also because Muon seems less versatile), so I uninstalled all the Muon parts and installed update-notifier-kde in their place, but now I don't see how to ensure the daemon or cron job that checks for updates periodically is running. Do I just need to reboot after installing, run a one-time command (like a modprobe for a kernel module), or add a launch line to a startup script somewhere? Or does the installation start the daemon automatically, and I don't have to do anything? I just installed updates, so it might be days or even possibly weeks before there's another one -- makes it hard to test if the thing is working...

Packaged within update-notifier-kde is the file kingston_update_notifier.desktop. The file contains the line X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true. This tells KDE to load the program when the desktop starts.

Comment

Cool, I've restarted a couple times since installing, and I've seen notification at least once, so it seems to be working. Is there a way to get it to put an icon in the tray when there are updates, or do I have to depend on seeing the (rather subtle) system notification?

Comment

I don't have an answer for you, as I don't rely on any kind of automatic update notifier. Instead, my morning routine is the following:
        Code:
        sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Comment

apt? Not apt-get?
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

man apt

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              man apt
              BUGS
              This manpage isn't even started.

Code:
              $ sudo apt update
              sudo: apt: command not found
              There's an apt manpage for the APT system but no executable of that name.

Is this new with the most recent *buntus, or am I missing something important?

Comment

The "simpler" apt syntax was added in apt version 1.0 (you probably have an earlier version)

Comment

OK, I'm starting to feel less paranoid now. On 14.04 apt is there. And it has a less skeletal man page!

Thanks

Comment

Since my system runs 24/7 (saves me time when I need a quick lookup -- no waiting 2-3 minutes for a system boot for a 1 minute task -- and I use all those clock cycles for BOINC tasks), I can't very readily include those commands in one of the startup scripts, but I supposed I could set kalarm to pop up a terminal with that command, to wait for my password entry (which would also let me put off a scheduled update at need). However, I've found I tend to spot the system notification pretty readily, since it adds a row to the tray and I keep it cleared out in normal operation.

Comment

Working...
                    X