This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 15.04 Alpha 2 Dist-Upgrade warning

Hello all. Just a quick note to warn folks that, as of today at least, installing 15.04 Alpha 2 and then doing a dist-upgrade (which you would want to do in order to get Plasma 5.2, for instance) will break your system. The reason is that attempting to do so will remove KWin without any replacement candidate, as shown in the picture below. Doing an apt-get upgrade will NOT remove KWin, but will also hold back several packages from being installed. My recommendation would be to hold off on a dist-upgrade until doing so will not remove KWin.

​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Originally posted by dequire View Post
    Hello all. Just a quick note to warn folks that, as of today at least, installing 15.04 Alpha 2 and then doing a dist-upgrade (which you would want to do in order to get Plasma 5.2, for instance) will break your system. The reason is that attempting to do so will remove KWin without any replacement candidate, as shown in the picture below. Doing an apt-get upgrade will NOT remove KWin, but will also hold back several packages from being installed. My recommendation would be to hold off on a dist-upgrade until doing so will not remove KWin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5793[/ATTACH]
    Thanks dequire for warning

Comment

I let kwin and three libkwin*5 libraries be removed when 5.2 hit. Re-installed kwin and all has been good - or I couldn't be typing this.

Your mileage may vary, and the usual warnings.

Comment

Yup, this is somewhat "normal" during the pre-release phase, as packages get stuck in the build queue, or a relevant package fails to build. Once all the packages make it out into the archive, it clears itself up. Which seem to be the case as I just updated now with zero issues

Comment

Working...
        X