This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu feature request/proposal

I've been using Kubuntu about 6 months now, after using windows for 20+... and had some ideas to make the distro more user friendly and maybe more mainstream, so i have a few questions....

Where does one go to see the future roadmap of kubuntu?
    This seem a difficult question because it is based on Debian/Ubuntu/KDE.

I am very happy with the OS part of linux, i think the ideas i have relate more to the desktop experience...
    It seems every time i read about "new" features of kubuntu, they are more visual than anything, i think kde 4.x delivers everything you need in a desktop environment. Its time to move onto to more integration of the DE with the user needs. This is probably my use of windows for so long, i just expect certain things to work a certain way, like file sharing or firewall configuration... if linux is going to get mainstream acceptance into desktop computer arena, there should be some effort into making these type of processes easier. I understand not everyone wants/needs these type of things, but for those that do, it shouldn't take half a day to configure it! there should be some sort of gui/wizard to guide a user to set these up. And i know linux has come a long way in just 5 years, as when i first installed debian is was worse than setting up a hackintosh!
    Now i can have internet connected pc in 20 minutes!!! yea, but we shouldn't stop there!

I know i will get flamed for this, in that linux just works, learn linux and live better for it, yada, yada, yada!!! I have learned linux, at least as much as you can in 6 months (fstabs, crons jobs, startup processes, samba, nfs, just to name a few) thats the point i dont want to be sys admin to run my own pc, i do enough of that at work...

anyway, rambling, back to my questions
    Where does one submit ideas to improve kubuntu user experience?

Thanks

Hi txhammer68

Thanks for the very thoughtful post.

No.......you will not get a RTFM response here.

There are quite a few threads in the forum about "the future of Kubuntu" particularly after BlueSystems took the distro under it's wing. There has also been discussion about several under the hood things that are upstream from Kubuntu and also Ubuntu from Debian, etc. Nothing was "resolved" in the discussions, it was more than anything else people with a larger view being able to provide a little, but not much, insight as to what the upstream people are plotting/thinkin/not thinkin/ whatever.

You mentioned "user friendly" and also "mainstream acceptance" but then you also mention "fstab, crons jobs, startup processes, samba, etc".

So your post, which you mentioned as rambling did indeed bifurcate into at least two different directions,

As to "mainstream", Kubuntu is about "as mainstream" as one can get from my experience. I have install "a Linux" on well over a hundred and fifty machines for donation over the last decade, using several "easy" distros and all of them were easily used by people from kids to old folks and people with disabilities.

And, I was fortunate enough to have a very perspicacious lady for a lab assistant and provided her with a machine to "test" one with Ubuntu Unity......"she......got it......but was not impressed"...and one with Kubuntu and it was, well, it is prettier but......I won't fiddle with the activities and such, just use it. And she did "just use it'.

So.......... I think that for the person who "just uses it" in terms of "an appliance" as in what Bill Gates envisioned, then Kubuntu is probably as close to being a "mainstream" OS as I, personally, can envision.

"Most, "windblows" users really don't "get into the "file structure", even. They want to have pictures saved in pictures and documents saved in documents and downloads in downloads and as long as "their hardware" gets onto the net easily and the printer, now almost all "usb" and are "plug - n - play", then they are happy as little clams that they don't have malware installed.

As to a "firewall" ClamAV tends to work out of the box, most folks don't even know it is there unless the distro really pushes it. And, sometimes Clam sets up jiffy quick and sometimes not.

Ubuntu CE ( Ubuntu Christian Edition) has a built in firewall and "parent monitor" that takes........mebbeee............ five minutes of fiddling by the parent......but not much more.......

But............fstab, and cron jobs and startup proceses are not "mainstream" they are usually things that experienced people do.

So....... the last part of your post was more about "stuff that people that know what they are doing already know how to do"........at least it would seem that way to the old woodsmoker.

i dunno..........Kubuntu just gets on the net automagically for me, I use a NetGear wireless router and it has always "just worked" until the last week or so. Sometimes it is "iffy" to get on the net, and what I found out was that if I reset the device that it automagically interacted with Kubu and was on. I use a password on the router, WEP-A etc. and the 802 works with just plugging it in.

I think, that like the old woodsmoker.......it is getting old and mebbe I should buy a new one and just donate it to the trolls down on level seven, after all about the most that they need is to talk with level eight.

So......would you mind telling us the router name etc. so that someone more experienced in that part can work with you?

So...........to the "easier" part..........again......it seems that you have moved beyond the "easy" part.......the "mainstream" stuff.....and are more into CLI and that just takes patience......and asking questions.

So.............I'm sure tht someone far more experienced than I will be along soon but...........I'd suggest:

A) You can make suggestions right here, there are lurkers that watch this kind of stuff, or if you want to make a suggestion further upstream you can go to Ubuntu devs or to KDE forums.

B) You can ask questions right here, although it would be good for you fingers do the walking down through the dungeons to see if it has already been asked. And......BTW...........Matilda..........that is the green dragon on level four.......... she likes parsnips........so take a bunch when you go down there and she'll help you out as best as she can.

C) Make a suggestion right here........you'll get some thoughtful replies.

The motto better than jam on toast is not just a whoof in the wind.

Again, don't be a stranger!

woodhopethishelpedalittlesmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 30, 2014, 10:31 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by txhammer68 View Post
      I know i will get flamed for this, in that linux just works, learn linux and live better for it, yada, yada, yada!!!
      No one here will flame you for this.

This seem a difficult question because it is based on Debian/Ubuntu/KDE.
      You're right. Ubuntu builds on Debian Testing. Kubuntu takes the Ubuntu core (without Unity, Canonical's desktop) and adds KDE. So for roadmappy stuff, you'd follow Ubuntu for the core OS, and you'd follow KDE for the desktop.

I am very happy with the OS part of linux, i think the ideas i have relate more to the desktop experience...
      Your suggestions would best be directed at the KDE folks, then. You can create an account at the KDE Forums and post your comments there. I think there's a wishlist section, even. You could also join #kde and #kde-devel on IRC.

Its time to move onto to more integration of the DE with the user needs. This is probably my use of windows for so long, i just expect certain things to work a certain way, like file sharing or firewall configuration... if linux is going to get mainstream acceptance into desktop computer arena, there should be some effort into making these type of processes easier.
      Earlier, you wrote "I've been using Kubuntu about 6 months now, after using windows for 20+." I presume 20 years. You realize, then, that your time spent with Kubuntu is one fortieth your time spent with Windows. Another way to think about is that you have 40 times the experience with Windows than with Linux. Remeber: Linux is not Windows. You have a considerable amount of brain and muscle memory to overcome.

there should be some sort of gui/wizard to guide a user to set these up.
      Kubuntu strives to provide a KDE experience that's as close to upstream as practical. Other distributions create additional GUI front-ends for some of these things. openSUSE comes to mind, with their YAST utility.

(fstabs, crons jobs, startup processes, samba, nfs, just to name a few)
      To configure cron jobs, install kde-config-cron and you'll get a Task Scheduler control panel in System Settings. This package is not part of the base Kubuntu desktop but it is an official part of KDE. For better control over Samba sharing, install smb4k. This isn't part of the official KDE but it's a good utility. Dolphin directly understands NFS -- use the nfs:// URI in Dolphin's address bar. For space considerations, the Kubuntu desktop ISO doesn't include everything in KDE or very many third-party applications. If you look through the package list, though, you'll find many more bits of KDE goodness.

Comment

i think u misread my statement, i have no problem getting on the net, i was praising the growth of Debian/ubuntu compared to 5 years ago. i agree most linux distros are pretty good, i just prefer the kde flavor. being new to linux land, i feel the variety, while good, is also the 'problem" dare i say with linux distros, too many cooks in the kitchen!

Comment

being new to linux land, i feel the variety, while good, is also the 'problem" dare i say with linux distros, too many cooks in the kitchen!
          Variety is the way of "Linux land," and it'll forever be that way. Such is the nature of free and open source software. KDE does not shy away from trying to expose as much of the system as possible for configuration. Sharp edges and corners are there for the finding. Compare that to the GNOME desktop, in which you get "sane defaults" that you rarely can even change.

Comment

Links...

good-better-best

Good - You know what need to be done.

Better - You know how it can be done.

The Best - You are willing to do it.
            - Contribute to Kubuntu: http://www.kubuntu.org/community/contribute

Plans

Kubuntu: https://trello.com/kubuntu

Ubuntu+1: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427

Discussion

mailing list:

KDE: https://www.kde.org/support/mailinglists/

Debian: https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/

Ubuntu: https://lists.ubuntu.com/
            - kubuntu-devel -- Kubuntu Developer Discussion: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Wishes

KDE: https://forum.kde.org -> https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=83

Q&A

... i think kde 4.x delivers everything you need...
            The Qt4 and the KDE4 support will end some day...

http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com.es/20...n-jessie1.html
            Early announce: Qt4 removal in Jessie+1
            We the Debian Qt/KDE Team want to early-announce [maintainer warning] our decision to remove Qt4 from Jessie+1. This warning is mostly targeted at upstreams.

Qt4 has been deprecated since Qt5's first release on December 19th 2012, that means almost two years ago!...
            Last edited by OneLine; Dec 01, 2014, 04:03 AM.
            Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

thanks exactly what i was looking for!

Comment

Working...
              X