This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Middle mouse button doesn't copy / paste

After some upgrade (probably sometime in july) the middle mouse button suddenly stopped to copy to clipboard / paste - which is something I am use to for ... well, too many years and really buggs me.
    System is kubuntu, 14.04 - upgraded over the years initially from 12.04 (I think).

I found some suggestions on the net, tried nearly all, but non had any effect.
    I followed this one for sure Mouse text selection to paste buffer using middle click - Ask Ubuntu and... well, I'm out of solutions and I really can't work like this - and, well, at this point I'm quite desperate. Please, help.

I suggest using xev to be sure the mouse is producing the click. Run xev in a konsole, then move the mouse pointer to the xev window and observe the events reported. If you press the middle mouse button outside the black square, you should see button press and button release events for button 2.

Checking the output of xmodmap -pp might be useful, check if physical button 2 is not mapped to something else.

In reading about this, you should be be aware of the difference between the selection and the clipboard. They can be separate in X, and can be confusing, especially those coming from MS windows. The clipboard is what gets used when you click Edit->Copy, the selection when you select text with the mouse. I think by default Klipper synchronizes them but that can be turned off; also my konsole seems to synchronize them too1, though firefox doesn't.

1Yes, there's a setting in console on the mouse tab of edit profile.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

strange ,,,,works @hear ,,,,,,highlight some text some where ,,,,,,move cursor to the place I want it ,,,,,click the middel mouse button and bam their it is ??

Konsole to FF to Kate back to Konsole all get the text flashed to.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No, it appears everything else works with the middle button, it's the scroller, and scrolls just fine, and makes a "click" sound, but doesn't create any output. I guess the fact that it stopped working right after the update ended was just one of these extremely rare coincidences that only exist to confuse. I just changed the mouse and everything works again.

Comment

Working...
          X