This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Here's a good one! Time is wrong...really wrong

Last night I noticed something I have NEVER seen before. And while it's somewhat comical, I'd like to fix it.

The time on my Chromebook has changed--to 8 hours later than my actual time. Note that its date/time settings are identical in every way to all of my other computers, all of which run [various versions of] Kubuntu. They're all set to "Set date and time automatically," they all use the same time server ("Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org)"), they're all on the same wireless network, they're all set to my time zone (Los Angeles), etc. There is *NO* difference between the CB's settings and all my other computers.

So where the hell is it getting the idea that I'm now somewhere that's 8 hours later than it really is?! Note that this started after we 'fell back' over the weekend.

(I didn't post this in 13.04 because I don't think it's version specific--I think it's CHROMEBOOK specific. Mods, of course, feel free to move if you think otherwise. )
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

check this ,,,,,,,,right click the clock (the one in the panel) ,,,click "digital clock settings" click the time zones ,,,, and check to see if you have any checked but yours,,,,,,,,if you do have more than one checked the clock will switch between them when you scrole wile pointing at it .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That, and check your bios clock. If I remember correctly, Cali is -8 UTC.
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        check this ,,,,,,,,right click the clock (the one in the panel) ,,,click "digital clock settings" click the time zones ,,,, and check to see if you have any checked but yours,,,,,,,,if you do have more than one checked the clock will switch between them when you scrole wile pointing at it .
        Thanks, Vinny, but, no, that's not it. My time zone is the only one checked.

This started after the time change, and without any doing on my part.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Same thing here, basically. But Vinnie's tip applied ("digital clock settings" click the time zones): in addition to my time zone, UTC was also checked (somehow). Unchecked it, and now fixed.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
            That, and check your bios clock.
            Hmmmm...I don't know how. This is a Chromebook that I installed Kubuntu on using the ChrUbuntu method. Because of that it has some weird stuff, like a warning screen upon rebooting that says "OS verification is off" (or something), and normal keys don't do anything. I've tried everything as it's rebooting, like pressing [esc], pressing [f1] through [f12], and nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Same thing here, basically. But Vinnie's tip applied ("digital clock settings" click the time zones): in addition to my time zone, UTC was also checked (somehow). Unchecked it, and now fixed.
              Hey there, QQ. That doesn't do it for me. In fact, in my attempts to fix it, I deliberately checked, applied, and then unchecked UTC and also 'default to UTC', but to no avail. It's so strange, everything looks exactly like my other computers, except the result!

Comment

OK, last ditch effort by me.... System Settings-->Date & Time--> is "Set date and time automatically" checked and your time zone correct (LA, I'll assume)?
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                  OK, last ditch effort by me.... System Settings-->Date & Time--> is "Set date and time automatically" checked and your time zone correct (LA, I'll assume)?
                  It was, originally. And then the problem started on its own, spontaneously, after the time change. Since then it's been checked, unchecked, checked...in my experimenting. Right now it's checked--and my time is correct! That's the good news. The bad news is that I had to set my time zone to Macau - Asia/Macau SAR(China) in order to have the time display correctly. If I change my time zone back to LA it immediately jumps the time ahead eight hours.

Also, I hadn't noticed Steve's sticky about TZDATA until last night. I tried its fix...and it didn't do anything.

Comment

Working...
                  X