This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROUTER] Network printing

I am on vacation this week and decided I wanted to figure out how to make my server (Ubuntu Server 13.04) a print server. I had installed CUPS, found a right-proper ppd for my HP Deskjet, adjusted and fiddled and googled all day long. I just couldn't get the damned thing to work. I could print from the server. The client machines could see and install the printer (three linux, one windows). The client machines couldn't print. I tried ipp, appsockets, samba, raw printing. No dice. After about 8hrs of frustration, I ran into a solution that worked. I install linux onto my router (dd-wrt). I followed a really nicely written but complicated instruction page and ssh'ed into my router, downloaded and installed print and usb drivers, connected the printer and *BAM*, I have a network printer that can be seen and used by everything but the windows machine. Since the windows machine (Win7) is my daughters machine, it's no really "biggie", but I'm still on vacation and I can probably try to get it working today. If not, no big loss. She can still copy what she wants printed to her usb thumb drive and print from either her moms or my linux machines.

If you ever want to play with your router, I would recommend you go to the dd-wrt forums and read everything you can. They have a couple of very long and overly complicated "READ ME FIRST" threads that may be dry reading, but very, very informative. They give you the idea that what you're getting ready to do is not for the faint of heart. I went into this knowing I had a very good chance of bricking my router. For me, it turned out well. I now have a lot more control over my router, I've been able to tweak both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, and I can even download and install a torrent client if I so choose (I don't choose, I prefer to be able to control that from my personal desktop). They are currently using 2.6 linux kernels, with 3.x in development.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Strange...I'm using ipp to share my printer across my network and I can print from Windows 7 to my print server.
    Maybe your setup is different.

I did the following in Windows 7.
    Add a printer
    Select Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer. Click stop when it searches for available printers.
    Click "The printer that I wanted isn't listed"
    Type the following into the field "Select a shared printer by name".
    Code:
    http://10.50.54.231:631/printers/PSC-750
    Substitute 10.50.54.231 for your print server IP and PSC-750 for your printer name.
    Click next and it should find the printer and install the drivers.
    sigpic

Comment

what kind of "Deskjet" is that , I guess it dose not have wireless ?

mine A HP-Deskjet-3052A dose and Kubuntu and Windows both can print to it ,,,,, it was $45.00 or so a few years ago.

VINN
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It's an HP Deskjet F2110, set up as an F2100 (only driver even close in linux). I didn't get to play around with it today.... I had a pretty good series I'm reading that sucked me in...
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

+1 for DD-WRT.

I agree about the pre-installation instructions too, they're useful but not exactly light reading.

Just in case you are considering setting your DD-WRT router up as a scanner server, be aware that the version of HPLIP available as an .ipk is pretty old compared to the versions available in the Ubuntu repos. I have quite an old all-in-one printer (HP Desk jet 3050a), but scanner support isn't available for my model until newer versions of HPLIP, so no wireless scanning for me

Printing works perfectly though!

Hoping someone will compile a newer version soon!
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X